Finds, Old Woods, Questions

Mac Tools Dude

Jun 21, 2010
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I am new to Tnet and have just returned to Mdt'ing after many years away. I'm using a Whites DFX. I didn't bother to get the readings from the machine (my fault) because I was so excite to get a strong signal. I found all of these in some old woods that have been recently cleared for development. They are from a town that was founded in the late 1700's off of a main road about 200 yards off the road. There was very small shack that looks as if it was lived in at one time and had sheet rock walls so I figure it wasn't too old. I found many old square nails that were badly corroded as well as pottery shards. All of my finds were about 150 yards from the shack if not more.

The most exciting find was piece of rectangle iron. I thought is was a buckle when I found it. I found it at about 5 inches. It looks as if it was mounted on leather. It's badly corroded. Any suggestions about cleaning it would be much appreciated. Not sure exactly what but I'm hoping you guys will give me some ideas.

I also found a flat button with not true markings from what I can see. I did notice what looks to be an "S" on it but it may be my imagination. Also some circular patterns around the outer circumference on the rear.

Lastly was what I believe to be a copper bottle lid. It has some patina on it and a diamond shape on the lid.

Any help at all identifying these would be greatly appreciate. Also cleaning methods would be helpful to me. I know nothing about how to get the rectangle clean of if I can do it without destroying it.

Thanks in advance for your comments and ideas.

Mac Tools Dude

Attachments

• rectangle_top.jpg
    rectangle_top.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 476
  • rectangle.jpg
    rectangle.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 476
  • button_top.jpg
    button_top.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 472
  • button_bottom.jpg
    button_bottom.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 481
  • bottle_top.jpg
    bottle_top.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 470
Upvote 0

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had found an old axe head in a park a year or so ago and it is corroded about the same shape as the piece of iron you have. I havnt done anything with it but it did flake off alot and I do no think that there is much that can be done. It will leave the mind wondering. Maybe someone will know what it is or have some special method to clean it up. Good luck and happy hunting.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cant help on your finds but I would detect around every tree and the ones on a hill side are best. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mac Tools Dude

Mac Tools Dude

Jun 21, 2010
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Not really any "hills" so to speak. The area was mostly flat. I'll make sure to pay closer attention next hunt. The area has also been "partially" cleared for development. There are still lots of tree piles, stumps. This makes it hard to walk and swing at the same time especially when you are busy looking for copperhead snakes.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece of iron looks like a plate from an old trunk. But either way, you should put it through electrolysis to be sure. It does look interesting. The button is a flat button from the first half of the 19th century.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
Mac Tools Dude

Mac Tools Dude

Jun 21, 2010
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
BuckleBoy said:
The piece of iron looks like a plate from an old trunk. But either way, you should put it through electrolysis to be sure.

I can see how it might be for a trunk. It has what looks like small bits of leather on the four sharp points on the rear. It looks als though it might also have a "small square" on the front as well. I do think it is two pieces.

Buck, does one have to buy an electrolysis machine or can it be made. Where would I get an electrolysis machine for this type of application?

Thanks

Skelly607

Bronze Member
May 5, 2010
Danville Va.
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO M6 Ace 250
Google: Electrolysis or "removing rust with DC current".I have used this methoed a few times and it works really well.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mac Tools Dude said:
BuckleBoy said:
The piece of iron looks like a plate from an old trunk. But either way, you should put it through electrolysis to be sure.

I can see how it might be for a trunk. It has what looks like small bits of leather on the four sharp points on the rear. It looks als though it might also have a "small square" on the front as well. I do think it is two pieces.

Buck, does one have to buy an electrolysis machine or can it be made. Where would I get an electrolysis machine for this type of application?

Thanks

You can make a set-up yourself. It will cost about 40-50 bucks to do it right. Car battery charger (analog NOT digital), copper tubing or thick guage wire, a bucket, and some baking soda is all that's needed. There are some instructions on making an electrolysis set-up in the "Cleaning and Preservation" section of the forum. I can also send you a link if you can't locate it--just message me.

Regards,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread