fine stranded wire striping - strip/burn/leave intacked???

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a lot of 2 section wire, 1 side is shielded (copper) wire with a solid copper wire in the middle and the 2nd side has 2 very fine stranded wires. The side wth the shield and solid wire is easy to strip but the 2nd side is turning out to be a pain. I tried stripping with a utility knife but the sheathing is too thick to use my finger nail but too thin to use a box cutter or even a piece of flat metal to cut it and it just frays very easy.

I don't want to chuck it as I have quite a lot of the fine stranded wire and was wondering how you guys deal with this? LOL I have been saying that if I look at it the wrong way it will fray on me... :BangHead:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
For me, I leave the fine stranded untouched, and sell it as insulated.

I've tried burning the plastic off, but since the wire is so fine, it burned a good bit of the wire too! All in all, I lost money on that deal, and made a big mess.

Again, just my experience. Your mileage may vary.

DanBama

Apr 4, 2010
N.E. Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been saving up insulated wire stuff too and have not stripped any of it yet .
I was thinking about buying a hand held wire stripper from Harbor Freight tools
to do it . I don't know how well they will work on really small scrap wire .
I was told not to burn it for sure . Seems like its going to be time consuming
to do no matter how I do it .

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=wire+strippers

wolfmann

Dec 30, 2006
Take a sample of it. Weigh a small piece of it, then strip it and figure the percent of copper 20% 30% 60%ect. My buyer will pay that percentage less .07 a pound for the total weight. Remember any time you see blue or green when you burn you are losing weight.

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
Sounds like you have coax cable to me. Take a sample of it to your local yard and get a quote. You will be better off selling it "as is'' than trying to strip it, unless your time is worth nothing.

Turn it over, save the space for better grade stuff.

drbecker

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to find a yard that takes coax since it has steel in it. but regular insulted low grade copper wire was $1.15 a pound last month. No need to strip it at that price. Higher grade wire paid more like $2 a pound with insulation in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread