Finest Gorget I have seen

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
This gorget was originally collected by Dr. Gordon Meuser. He is almost universally considered the greatest "problematical" collector of all time. Many will recognize this artifact from the large number of times it has been published in magazines and books. The gorget itself can be classed as a Hopewell indented form, and is made from highly exotic purple and green banded slate. It might be considered ferrougness(spelling) slate. The piece resides in Bob Converse's collection, and I was lucky enough to hold it and picture it with my camera.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Attachments

• meuserfinestgorget1.jpg
    meuserfinestgorget1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 806
  • meuserfinestgorget1.jpg
    meuserfinestgorget1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 801
  • meuserfinestgorget2.jpg
    meuserfinestgorget2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 830
Upvote 0

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
That is something else.
I wonder why they cut on it?
I guess that's why it's a problematical.

P

pickaway

Wow beautiful piece ,amazing thanks for showing us... :hello2:

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
bob is very helpful and always welcomes me to come over and talk,when ever im over i cant seem to let go of the pipestone hopewell figure he has,jon did you get to see his big plano lances?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's old school identification. Before digital. Some people still do not get it.
Nice Gorget and material.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Beautiful gorget.

Writing on pieces may not sound great, but it is about the best way to ensure that at least some information makes it down to the next generation of collectors. When it's done properly it doesn't damage the relic, it doesn't detract from the beauty, and it'll come off with a bit of effort. Unfortunately, most artifact collections will be "transitioned" (sold, donated, inherited, boxed and forgotten, thrown away, etc.) when we are no longer able to pass on that information personally and quite often the people doing the transitioning (wife, kids, lawyer, parents, etc.) aren't collectors and won't recognize the catalog as anything more than just another book or paper. (And that's where a complicated numeric system just become graffiti on a relic.)

A great example of this info can be seen in Ohio Slate Types (where many of us have seen this gorget.) Those little distribuition maps by county in Ohio are still about the most in depth research that has been done for detailing where the different types of "problematicals" have been found. There were many more pieces in the collections that Bob had access to that could have been added to the study but those pieces didn't have any location information.

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
i use a fine tip marker on all my artifacts, i mark county and state on all of them ,its the best way to make sure the info doesnt get lost and if someone later on doesnt like it they can take it off with alittle nail polish remover

Hopewell

Greenie
Nov 22, 2009
Hi Jon,

I'm not sure if I ever showed this one to you; it is along the same lines as Bob's, but not nearly as nice. It was found on the site of a destroyed Hopewell mound in Ottawa County, Ohio.

Sincerely,
John Rummel

Attachments

• IMG_8009.JPG
    IMG_8009.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_8010.JPG
    IMG_8010.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 464

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
hey john ,good to see you on here,ive talked to you at the aso meetings a few times, how about some pics of the artifacts you have from the effigy mound in north benton
jeff

Hopewell

Greenie
Nov 22, 2009
Hi Jeff,

No problem. I will take some pictures of the pieces and post them on here.

Sincerely,
John

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Nice piece. That is my favorite as well, but if your not from Ohio nobody knows. It's worth 25,000 dollars to some fool hardy soul.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions