FINNALY! An old coin on the beach!!!!

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FINALLY!

I been hunting this beach a long time...I get the occasional flat button or super old stray brass do-dad...and FINALLY got a coin.

The difference is a brass do-dad thingy usually don't have a date. I've only found modern clad (not even a WHEAT) and unknown age other relic bits.

Today was nice...a bit foggy and drizzle for a little while, but the sun came out at last...a gorgeous 70 on new years day and swinging the beach. Life don't get much better than that. :headbang: :headbang:

The injun is basically paper thin, I think I see a "3" in last digit of the date and since it ID's as a nickel/ pull tab...that means it could be an early IH...makes it an 1863. The 1865-1909 IH's ID as zinc/copper penny for me. This COULD be due to the very thin nature of the coin, I dunno... Outstanding find no matter what...

Check out the vid, special for all you homebound snowbunnies!

[youtube=425,350]5nujP51clg0[/youtube]

See ya in 2011!

Attachments

• ih1.jpg
    ih1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,265
  • ih2.jpg
    ih2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,277
  • ih3.jpg
    ih3.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,266
Upvote 0

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is one thin penny... yeah it looks like 1863 to me... like you said still a good find.... my Indian Heads ring up as Zinc Pennies... but I never had one that old or thing.... Gratz

Chukers

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find for sure! Thanks for posting.
Bunker

OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I've dug a couple old ones over the years...got a few different ones on my desk, the old one IDs exactly the same as the beach IH...nickel / pulltab. The ones made after they changed metal comp. in late 1864 ID as zinc/penny.

This coin answers one huge question for me...I've often found flat roundish hunks of copper/brass and wondered if it was a flat button or a coin worn smooth. But here you can see the "differential" grinding action...the sand ground differently in the flat fields than on the pattern...in the right light you can see a ring on the back where the wreath had been worn down. Maybe just my imagination, the back is totally hammered...but in ANY case...this coin is NOT worn flat and smooth. This will help me ID what's old coin (even with no recognizable details) and what's just a flat button.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gonna have to change that saying about "one thin dime" to well, you know!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
That's one thin Fatty!
with that much metal gone it's amazing that there is any detail left.
No doubt An IH, obverse is recognizable & I have worn examples that resemble your reverse.
thanks for posting! :thumbsup:
I was fortunate to dig an early 64 fatty! Hooray for Indians!

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Congratulations! :icon_thumleft:

I wonder if with the possible 1863 date and the unusual thinness if maybe this is some sort of Civil War store token - the indian head was very common design on them and 1863 seems to be a popular year for their production.

Either way- great find!

OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bramblefind said:
Congratulations! :icon_thumleft:

I wonder if with the possible 1863 date and the unusual thinness if maybe this is some sort of Civil War store token - the indian head was very common design on them and 1863 seems to be a popular year for their production.

Either way- great find!

That's a possibility too! I've seen but never dug an injun head CW token, so I have nothing to compare the IDs too, but I would guess they made of brass?

And the head has so few details...well it's unlikely I'll ever get a positive ID on what it is, on even be certain of the date...I can't imagine how a coin/token has lost this much metal and yet the injun is still visible? The ocean has a mysterious way of doing things for sure.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great video as usual - thanks for the laughs :laughing7: as we're still under a blanket of snow here in northern NJ. I have a hard time believing a fatty got that thin, but you never know. Found my first patriotic token from 1863 a few weeks ago - I think they were made of copper. Probably more likely it's one of these. Try a few hot peroxide baths on that coin and see if you get any more detail. My token had a big *ss hole smack in the middle of it :dontknow:

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
congrats! I hunt the beach each yr on vacation.. never found ne thing worthwhile... I see all kinds of neat finds on here from the beach and gives me hope

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
adventureswithjim said:
Yeah I've dug a couple old ones over the years...got a few different ones on my desk, the old one IDs exactly the same as the beach IH...nickel / pulltab. The ones made after they changed metal comp. in late 1864 ID as zinc/penny.

This coin answers one huge question for me...I've often found flat roundish hunks of copper/brass and wondered if it was a flat button or a coin worn smooth. But here you can see the "differential" grinding action...the sand ground differently in the flat fields than on the pattern...in the right light you can see a ring on the back where the wreath had been worn down. Maybe just my imagination, the back is totally hammered...but in ANY case...this coin is NOT worn flat and smooth. This will help me ID what's old coin (even with no recognizable details) and what's just a flat button.

Great observations and great post. My guess is that you found an 1863 Indian. Yours is especially nice because it has "character". Congrats.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
way to go on the IH!! nice vid! MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread