**************FIRE,FIRE,FIRE*****************

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a short addition, and I'm by no means lecturing, that ended years ago.
What was brought up here, as I understand it is the way that today's Fed. lands are managed, and the terrible effect that these fires are having , they are effecting the whole environment, not just the forest.

If the land managers were still able to use methods to promote growth, and not do nothing these fires would not have these devastating results. Used to be that the forests were subject to timber stand improvement cutting, the removal of dead and dying trees, and the removal of brush...essentially removing the fires fuel. People wanted the environment left untouch, untrampled, and roadless and inaccessible.....This is where two definitions need to be understood, CONSERVATION: the wise use of our natural resources, and, PRESERVATION: the non-use of our natural resources. That is what is fuelling these fires, and burning the west......We no longer have access except by foot, and you can't carry much water in that way. These
fed. forest, and Park lands were set aside for the enjoyment of all, not a few.....and we are now seeing their ruination....I'm done and off my soapbox, but this has been a subject , and field I have worked in my whole career, and the changes bother me greatly, well intentioned, but uninformed people, who have the abilty to sway public policy are dangerous, and this is only one example. And that statement is directed at no-one here!......Gary

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
As fine a topic as any for a soap box. True or false, some of the oldest still alive growth on the eastern part of the country show signs of repeated at regular intervals burns long before European influence.A bonus for ,what was the cause.
You leave fuel don,t look surprised when it burns. Nature been dealing with it for as long as fuel has existed and adapts just fine.Even to requiring fire for certain species to continue.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True. Those fire scars in the large Eastern forest are the results of the burning of the understories each year by the Native Americans. They did this for a couple of reasons: the fires removed all the underbrush and fostered succulent grass growth, thus the wildlife they depended on stayed in the area to feed, essentially keeping the pantry full. the cleared forest also allowed easy travel, and the security of seeing enemies approach. They were in tune with the bountynthat Nature provided, and far ahead in the nuances of provided their existence from their surroundings.....Gary

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well the fire is taking the parks out now, but the giants will survive as they have for hundreds of years. I wonder if this will change the park service policies. Maybe they will open the fire roads so those that can't hike will be able to enjoy our parks also. It has for to long been reserved for the hikers only. Frank...

6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 035-1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread