Fired Civil War Bullets. Cool or No?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked about this with the title "Just Curious " back in April.

Basically I stated , Does anyone like Fired CW Bullets ,They don't display like the dropped ones.
And are worth $ much less (tho I don't care about that).

Since April I have dug many more fired minies /Round Balls.
What I find Cool about them is , I know the history of the Area they were dug in ,Via, old CW maps & State historic markers Near by, So I can kinda link who-(US or CS) fired them & I never know what they Hit.

I suppose if I took them out of that context they really would not mean as much.
&
Any Future collectors of my Relics Will just have to take my word on where they came from.:icon_scratch:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
fired means actually used, may have even taken a life, may have been shot wildly in the heat of battle. did the person if hit die or live, were they crippled or bed ridden? the fired bullet a lot and yet you are in the dark. so there is always a certain amount of coolness irregardless just because it was actually a used item from such a great event in our past. I personally would consider all to be trophies of a long gone war (it is cool now, not then and in fact sad that Americans were killing fellow Americans but it happened)

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fired means actually used, may have even taken a life, may have been shot wildly in the heat of battle. did the person if hit die or live, were they crippled or bed ridden? the fired bullet a lot and yet you are in the dark. so there is always a certain amount of coolness irregardless just because it was actually a used item from such a great event in our past. I personally would consider all to be trophies of a long gone war (it is cool now, not then and in fact sad that Americans were killing fellow Americans but it happened)

I agree thanks for the Reply DL.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any Civil War bullet is cherished here. Not much action in SW Ohio back then, other than Gen. Morgan and his Raiders.
I recently dug a fired 3 ringer and love it.
Peace ✌

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, Camp Dennison is located here. I think nearly 70,000 troops were mustered from here.
The area and surrounding areas, are off limits to metal dectorists.
Peace ✌

Sluice Box

Jan 1, 2012
The cold north
Detector(s) used
ACE 150, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the story behind the bullet itself is what really makes it out to be an amazing artifact to come across. TRUE piece of American history. Living in MI, my luck isn't all that great with finding them, which is terrible being a fanatic about the Civil War.

Sluice Box

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the story behind the bullet itself is what really makes it out to be an amazing artifact to come across. TRUE piece of American history. Living in MI, my luck isn't all that great with finding them, which is terrible being a fanatic about the Civil War.

Sluice Box

"The Grass is always Greener"
Many times I wish that I lived in the NE US.
Oh Well.
Thanks For the Opinion.
Davers

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any Civil War bullet is cherished here. Not much action in SW Ohio back then, other than Gen. Morgan and his Raiders.
I recently dug a fired 3 ringer and love it.
Peace ✌

There were hundreds of battles in Western Virginia (Now West Virginia) Lincoln called for more volunteers to join the Army and Ohio's Militia responded. Most State Militia's had deteriorated by that time but not Ohio's.

There is a good chance of finding Civil War relics as most of the fighting in WV was between the Ohio Militia and Confederate forces. There may not have been any major battles in Ohio but there were many camps and supply routes.

Pre America Ohio the French traded with the Indians and so did the British. There were lots of wars between the Brits and French, especially in your era. Colonial Era coins and artifacts are not common but they are out there.

There was a lot of activity around the Maumee River and especially the area between the two rivers. During the Civil War there was Camp Dennison and I think that is off limits but the original camp exceeded the present day boundaries of the museum.

There was also the Defense of Cincinnati, I will post some links for ya. The Library of Congress has a lot of the same stuff as map works and that mapworks logo isn't plastered on them. I even think you can save the image there.

The Defense of Cincinnati site photos
Camp Dennison : taken from Old Aunt Roady's Hill / | Library of Congress
Map showing the military defences of Cincinnati, Covington and Newport | Library of Congress
Camp Dennison, Officers' Quarters & Guard House, 7567 Glendale-Milford Road, Camp Dennison, Hamilton County, OH
Search Civil War Maps | Library of Congress
CivilWarAlbum.com Site Index

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were hundreds of battles in Western Virginia (Now West Virginia) Lincoln called for more volunteers to join the Army and Ohio's Militia responded. Most State Militia's had deteriorated by that time but not Ohio's.

There is a good chance of finding Civil War relics as most of the fighting in WV was between the Ohio Militia and Confederate forces. There may not have been any major battles in Ohio but there were many camps and supply routes.

Pre America Ohio the French traded with the Indians and so did the British. There were lots of wars between the Brits and French, especially in your era. Colonial Era coins and artifacts are not common but they are out there.

There was a lot of activity around the Maumee River and especially the area between the two rivers. During the Civil War there was Camp Dennison and I think that is off limits but the original camp exceeded the present day boundaries of the museum.

There was also the Defense of Cincinnati, I will post some links for ya. The Library of Congress has a lot of the same stuff as map works and that mapworks logo isn't plastered on them. I even think you can save the image there.

The Defense of Cincinnati site photos
Camp Dennison : taken from Old Aunt Roady's Hill / | Library of Congress
Map showing the military defences of Cincinnati, Covington and Newport | Library of Congress
Camp Dennison, Officers' Quarters & Guard House, 7567 Glendale-Milford Road, Camp Dennison, Hamilton County, OH
Search Civil War Maps | Library of Congress
CivilWarAlbum.com Site Index

Great Info...
There was also a-lot of Ohio's Troops in my area.
One of my favorite Finds is a ' 4th Reg, OVC Sutlers Token' I dug last Year.
Davers

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh yes,fired bullets are very cool. My husband buys bulk bullets at Civil War shows to sell at Carnton Mansion, The Carter House, and an antique booth in Franklin,Tennessee. At first we weren't sure the fired ones would sell as well as the drops but they do.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was in the hobby for 20 years then got out for another 20 years, Now I'm back. Where I live I'd be happy to dig a fired bullet.Not much left around here much anymore. One reason being civil war relic hunting has been a very very popular hobby around here. Because of Chattanooga's history almost everyone can detect in their back yard and many do.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
how can your imagination not run wild with fired bullets from the civil war? just ones from the old west, I do the same thing with Indian artifacts that I find. value is always going to be in the eyes of the beholder but all of our history should be cherished. to get to where we are today required a lot of hard work and blood from our ancestors, whatever their background (I am 3/4 Indian, mainly Cherokee with some Chickasaw). What amazes me is in the Revolutionary War, we used mainly the smaller caliber rifles compared to the British's big bore smooth bores but in the Civil War, we used mainly the big 58's. Those big minis and round balls were meant to kill or maim and they did this very well. so to me, the bullets whether fired or not were from desperate times in our great past and worthy of respect and otherwise downright coolness. just saying

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yes,fired bullets are very cool. My husband buys bulk bullets at Civil War shows to sell at Carnton Mansion, The Carter House, and an antique booth in Franklin,Tennessee. At first we weren't sure the fired ones would sell as well as the drops but they do.

Thanks for the reply .
Really enjoyed the articles on Your CSA plate in AD & EWT Mags.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the hobby for 20 years then got out for another 20 years, Now I'm back. Where I live I'd be happy to dig a fired bullet.Not much left around here much anymore. One reason being civil war relic hunting has been a very very popular hobby around here. Because of Chattanooga's history almost everyone can detect in their back yard and many do.

Ill bet that First 20 years were fairly Abundant , Compared to these days.
I live NW of Atlanta & Finding CW Relics around here is 10X harder than it was just 15 years ago back in 99 when I thought everything was hunted out. 'Wrong I was'. We just have to work harder now to get our Cherished CW relics ,Even if they are Squashed Minies.

Hey Did you Attend The Seeded Relic Hunt in Cairo Ga, back in Oct?
If so PM me with your thoughts on this ,If you have a chance.
thanks
Davers

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how can your imagination not run wild with fired bullets from the civil war? just ones from the old west, I do the same thing with Indian artifacts that I find. value is always going to be in the eyes of the beholder but all of our history should be cherished. to get to where we are today required a lot of hard work and blood from our ancestors, whatever their background (I am 3/4 Indian, mainly Cherokee with some Chickasaw). What amazes me is in the Revolutionary War, we used mainly the smaller caliber rifles compared to the British's big bore smooth bores but in the Civil War, we used mainly the big 58's. Those big minis and round balls were meant to kill or maim and they did this very well. so to me, the bullets whether fired or not were from desperate times in our great past and worthy of respect and otherwise downright coolness. just saying

Sounds like you love History , As do I & 'That's what's Cool.
Davers

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion any find that can be tied to something as significant as the civil war is a great find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread