Firepits Caught My Eye

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Yesterday, I was searching along a large creek, just up from where it dumps into a main river. I stayed down on the creekbed for the most part but I noticed a high bench up off the creek that had eroded on the creekside during really high water. There was some vegetation growing back after the floods last year but a lot of bare dirt showing at the high water mark. As I worked my way along the edge, I came across a small group of fractured rocks being washed out of the bank. There were no other rocks anywhere along the bank so I suspected it was an old firepit and crawled down over the bank to check closer. Within 30 yards of the first pit, I found two more exposed groups of the same fractured rocks. I also started finding very small pieces of pottery all along the bank and a few larger pieces. I also spotted what would have been a really beautiful point had it not been broken.
The first three pictures below show the firepits. They're a little tough to pick out because of all the other debris on the ground. Again, the bank is completely barren of rocks except in these three 6-7 foot circles.

firepit1.jpg

firepit2.jpg

firepit3.jpg

shard1.jpg

shard2.jpg

shard3.jpg

shard2a.jpg

shard2b.jpg

shard2c.jpg

shard3a.jpg

shard3b.jpg

shard3c.jpg

point1a.jpg

point1b.jpg

point1c.jpg

Matt G

Mar 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats very cool! Thanks for the look. That point seems way nicer than I would have expected given the type of pottery you were finding. Bet you'll be back there.......

Matt

Wick

Greenie
Mar 28, 2011
Central IA
Good eye Tom! That point is a heart breaker. I came across a couple of fire pits along one of my larger creeks, I need to get out there & look them over better.

Nice job!

Matt G

Mar 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to ask if you had noticed that one of the pottery pieces is shell temper (as opposed to the others and about 99% of central Iowa pattery that are grit temper). Thats pretty neat. The shell temper ceramics are always mich higher quality and thinner than grit temper. Cool.

Matt

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
Good eye spotting that camp Tom :icon_thumleft: I have to admit, sometimes I get so flint focused that I may miss other things around me :icon_scratch:

JRuss

Mar 25, 2011
Heartbreaker for sure, neat color on that point. Sure would be fun to do a dig right there.

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Special place there Tom thanks for sharing rather tempting too.I needed to see your pics have been blessed with a few places similar .Nice finds congrats your fareing well .

1point

Mar 13, 2011
Central Iowa
Nice find Tom - that point would have been a dandy complete. Nice feeling when you get to see the past unfold or shall I say erode in front of you. Keep your eyes tuned on that spot for sure!! Hard telling what is laying down below just under the surface.

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
Nice finds Tom.

Those GPS coords you e-mailed me wouldn't open up. :dontknow: Could you please try sending me them again. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Prime_Focus

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Yes Matt, I noticed the difference in the pottery. It's also a different color. The first piece and a few others were right next to one of the firepits, on the same level. The others were a little higher up on the bank, almost at the point where it leveled off on the bench. That's the level where I found the point, also.
Sprig and Lee, I re-sent those coordinates. You should be receiving them any day, now.
Trent, I hate you. I saw your pickup hooked on to your new boat a few minutes ago when Doug and I drove by your house. Looks like you're ready to hit a shallow creek somewhere.

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
Prime_Focus said:
Yes Matt, I noticed the difference in the pottery. It's also a different color. The first piece and a few others were right next to one of the firepits, on the same level. The others were a little higher up on the bank, almost at the point where it leveled off on the bench. That's the level where I found the point, also.
Sprig and Lee, I re-sent those coordinates. You should be receiving them any day, now.
Trent, I hate you. I saw your pickup hooked on to your new boat a few minutes ago when Doug and I drove by your house. Looks like you're ready to hit a shallow creek somewhere.

Well don't hate on me too much.... :laughing7: All I found was a broken one :-\

OP
OP
Prime_Focus

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Broken is better than nothing. How did the boat perform? Hate was maybe a little strong. Extremely jealous is closer to the truth. :notworthy:

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
The boats doing great :icon_thumright: I had to make a tail fin adjustment because the prop was riding too low, but now she really does good, I'm going to get out again probably Monday, but may try to sneek away Sunday too :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread