FIREWORKS Cannon/Flat button is COIN-- UPDATE

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
FIREWORKS Cannon/Flat button is COIN-- UPDATE

I've got a piece of property that is a now abandoned 400 year old vineyard. I decided to build/dig a flat path through an inclining section to meet a new set of stone steps I built last year. The grassroots are 5 inches thick, plus the 2+ inches of grass itself, so I wasn't getting much depth into the treasure zone with my detector. I've been over it a few times finding only shallow iron wire, nails, etc., but cutting the holes into the thick sod and only getting a couple of inches of detectable depth, I let it go for the time being.

This morning, after digging out a garden strip through the thick grass next to the path, my wife and I started to plant flowers with the neighbor's little girl, and I say, "Any gold you find you can keep." At that exact split second I look into the new garden's dirt, and a round disc is staring at me. I pick it up, see instantly it's a flat button,... turn it over, and see gold guilt. After a quick water rinse, I see there is lettering around its edge (unreadable at the present).

Back to the planting, I stick my little shovel in , and "PLING!", Metal!!!..I pull it out, and see there is a hole in it,... run water over it, ...clean the hole of grass roots,... and then see there is an igniting hole and needle it clean and open.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is an circa 180 wrought iron fireworks cannon, missing its base. I have only seen them as one heavy piece before.. The protrusion at one end is cut to an angle, so would shoot away from the shooter when fitted into a base.

I learned a lot about cleaning finds here, but to tell you the truth, I can't remember which method cleans what anymore..How does one clean the flat button to see the lettering clearer? Olive oil? hot Hydrogen Peroxide? And does anybody have a good link on flat buttons. This is my first, so can't remember all the info I've read here about aging and such. Any help is a appreciated.

UPDATE...After cleaning the flat button, it turned out to be a Victoria Emmanuelle II King of Italy, 1861 1 cent piece, that someone gold guilt and made a button out of it.

Actually, the other piece it turns out, the Fireworks cannon, is a very highly collected category and rare.

Attachments

• Mvc-041f.jpg
    Mvc-041f.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 602
  • Mvc-036f.jpg
    Mvc-036f.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 590
  • Mvc-038f.jpg
    Mvc-038f.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 594
  • Mvc-034f.jpg
    Mvc-034f.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 590
  • Mvc-047f.jpg
    Mvc-047f.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 576
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 18th cent. FIREWORKS Cannon/Flat button w/words

That's a coin and if you are seeing gilt it might have been a counterfeit gold.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

Iron Patch said:
That's a coin and if you are seeing gilt it might have been a counterfeit gold.

well spotted! i just looked again :o

i wonder what coin it is!

OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

The coin idea ran through my head, but I'm not use to such thin coins. I know the English hammers are thin. I'm in Italy so anything , from anywhere, any time, is possible to find. Any suggestions on cleaning it?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldnow said:
The coin idea ran through my head, but I'm not use to such thin coins. I know the English hammers are thin. I'm in Italy so anything , from anywhere, any time, is possible to find. Any suggestions on cleaning it?

Not much to lose so maybe try a hydrogen peroxoide soak and a little brushing. It might thin out the green a little more so you can read something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread