First 25 minutes with the AT Pro

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my AT Pro this morning,and quickly assembled it. Then ran out to the back yard for a quick test drive. I have used my F2 in the backyard,and thought,I might get a penny,that was left over. Man what a suprize!:notworthy: I hit more quarters,and 2 dimes at 8 inches down,then some pennys at from 2-4 inches down! You guy;s were right about this being a coin machine!:icon_thumright: I was running it in Pro/coin mode. $1.01 in 25 minutes on ground I thought was cleaned out! 102_2064.JPG

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the new AT Pro. What made you decide on the AT Pro? Who did you buy it from and why?

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the new AT Pro. What made you decide on the AT Pro? Who did you buy it from and why?
I watched some you tube videos,and heard guy's saying how great Garrett's service was. I still like my F2,but this with the ground balance,and iron audio,sold me on it(there's a lot of scrap metal/can slaw where I hunt),plus it's very easy to use. For the first time I didn't dig any trash. I had one signal that I thought was a quarter,but it didn't sound quite right? I switched the Iron audio on and got the boing/boing signal. I ordered it from Brad at Big Boy Hobbys. I've always had to turn the sensitivity down on the F2 because of power lines,and WiFi signals from our house,and the neighbors. Instead of turning down the sensitivity,I scrolled through the frequencys,until I hit a clear channel #3 Worked like a charm.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what I call a excellent example RKS of how a machine should work. I currently own a fisher, and have to do pretty much the same thing or just dig all signals. I understand about emi lol. I give the AT Pro guys a hard time when they start acting like the digger shows lol. But you already have a good grasp, I look forward to seeing your finds.

JRMan

Mar 20, 2013
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer,
White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched some you tube videos,and heard guy's saying how great Garrett's service was. I still like my F2,but this with the ground balance,and iron audio,sold me on it(there's a lot of scrap metal/can slaw where I hunt),plus it's very easy to use. For the first time I didn't dig any trash. I had one signal that I thought was a quarter,but it didn't sound quite right? I switched the Iron audio on and got the boing/boing signal. I ordered it from Brad at Big Boy Hobbys. I've always had to turn the sensitivity down on the F2 because of power lines,and WiFi signals from our house,and the neighbors. Instead of turning down the sensitivity,I scrolled through the frequencys,until I hit a clear channel #3 Worked like a charm.

Keep in mind.. what I have found with my AT Pro is that if you get a sound that might be a coin then check and hear metal also.. It could be a coin and a nail. I have found both in the hole many times.

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is what I call a excellent example RKS of how a machine should work. I currently own a fisher, and have to do pretty much the same thing or just dig all signals. I understand about emi lol. I give the AT Pro guys a hard time when they start acting like the digger shows lol. But you already have a good grasp, I look forward to seeing your finds.
Thanks,Casca! I went to a trashy location after dinner,and got to know what numbers/sounds that represent trash items! A beaver tail pop top sounds like a nickel,but comes in a little lower on the numbers. 70 or above is always a coin,penny or a dime,80's are quarters,and have a real "sharp" tone. It just chops off clean, as you cross them from side to side. I've been using the iron audio also,and nails don't fool ya,with it on. I'm gonna wear out the buttons on it,the way I'm pushing them all the time. When I get a "hard hit" I'll switch over to standard mode,and listen to the tone on it,then back to Pro mode,and listen to it again,then I switch the iron audio on and check it for iron.LOL!

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep in mind.. what I have found with my AT Pro is that if you get a sound that might be a coin then check and hear metal also.. It could be a coin and a nail. I have found both in the hole many times.
Thanks,JRMan!:thumbsup: I did find a penny,and a nail in the same hole this afternoon.

rpl782002

Greenie
May 2, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the new machine! I too use the AT Pro and love it. I now use the 5x8 DoubleD coil with it almost exclusively and it's a dangerous combo. For trashy areas like your describing, put that coil on your future to get list. I found mine on ebay for 80 bucks shipped so there are deals out there.

Also, something I've learned with my pro is that the id target display is not always accurate for coins which are on their sides or at angles at deeper levels. I've turned to just using the tones mostly and viewing the display id as reference. I sure dig more tabs, etc than I did before, but my silver and old Indian heads has drastically gone up.

The more time you spend with your machine, the more you'll enjoy seeing your skills with it grow. That's what i'm finding anyways. :)

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks,Ryan! Do you find that not using the headphones causes the batterys to go down faster? I know my F2 will run drastically longer when using the headphones,instead of using the MD's speaker. I haven't see any post in reguards to this on the ATP? Ron

rpl782002

Greenie
May 2, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used my AT a few times without headphones, however since i've mostly been hunting an old middle school and park, I've kept the headphones for I didn't want to disrupt or call extra attention. I have heard the same thing about not using headphones will run through batteries faster. Can't speak for this personally though.

For headphones, I use the Rapoo H3070 2.4ghz wireless headphones with my unit, as they are much lighter and cooler during the summer.
Amazon.com: Rapoo 2.4Ghz 3.5mm Jack Wireless Headset with Microphone (H3070 Black): Computers & Accessories
* I also really like the stock garrett headphones, which I use for the beach when detecting in the water.

For batteries, I use rechargeable.
Use the eneloop 2000mAh wihtout any problems. I run for several hours and switch them out after that. I've heard that if they get low, your detector looses depth. I'm not sure on that claim, but I figure their free to recharge. So far they have been great to use for me.
Amazon.com: eneloop NEW 2000mAh Typical, 1900mAh Minimum, 1500 cycle, 8 Pack AA, Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries: Electronics

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wait until you get to know the machine, you will really think it is a coin hound

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah,I think I like to use it in Pro "zero" mode the best so far. There's something about that "bell tone" in standard mode, that drives me nuts!:laughing7:

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you guy's know anyone that makes a longer cord on their headphones? I'm 6'4" tall and every time I lay the ATP down,and stand up,it pulls the headphones off my head. I tried the cord out the back (like in the instructions) didn't like that at all!>:( Then I just let it hang down from the jack in the unit,(a little better).

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah,I think I like to use it in Pro "zero" mode the best so far. There's something about that "bell tone" in standard mode, that drives me nuts!:laughing7:
... I just do not know why you and some others do not like the bell tone i think it is great....

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
... I just do not know why you and some others do not like the bell tone i think it is great....
I don't know for sure why it runs me crazy either,but it does?:icon_scratch: The wife likes it though!:laughing7: She thinks it sounds like a old cash register! Cha===Ching!:laughing7:

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guy's know anyone that makes a longer cord on their headphones? I'm 6'4" tall and every time I lay the ATP down,and stand up,it pulls the headphones off my head. I tried the cord out the back (like in the instructions) didn't like that at all!>:( Then I just let it hang down from the jack in the unit,(a little better).

They will stretch out over time. You could get the headphone adapter, that would give you some more length and you could use any headphones, or even an extension.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know for sure why it runs me crazy either,but it does?:icon_scratch: The wife like it though!:laughing7: She thinks it sounds like a old cash register! Cha===Ching!:laughing7:
... She knows ...The bell tone is a money tone:icon_thumleft:...

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

ATPro phones are junk, I stretched and stretched and stretched and STRETCHED AND STRETCHED the phone wire out as far as I dared and that worked for me for a while before I shat canned them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread