First Auction

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
Well I went to my first auction yesterday. i kind of just wanted to get my feet wet and see how things worked. I hadnt really planned on buying anything, but I knew some coins would be there so I ended up buying 16 1964 Silver Kennedy Halves all of which were in very, very nice condition for $4 a piece (I think I overpaid a bit, basically because I didnt realize i had to buy all 16, but its an investment for the future as are all of my coins; however they are worth $74ish in silver so im not too upset), and my mom also bought a box lot of knick knacks (mostly kitchen stuff) for $6 and she said I could have whatever was left in teh box for $3 I picked out 2 vintage mens grooming kits (one had a '64 dime inside ;D) and a heavy, gold baby's spoon with Thailand on back (doubtful if its real Anyone know how I can check if it is?). All in all it wasnt a bad day, Im not too sure if im into auctions, especially if im looking to resell, but I did enjoy it. The real surprise was on the way home when I saw a little garage sale. I picked up 4 albums for $1 (people on Ebay aree asking $5-$10 each) a few steel boxes for my coins $1 and 8 cufflinks (2 Gold) $1. On the way out he told me he had a bunch of Danbury Mint Cars I had no clue what they were and he happened to say he had both the silver and gold 007 Aston Martins for Sale $100 a piece as well as some others. Here the Aston Martins are on Ebay, not doing to bad....
Gold... http://cgi.ebay.com/James-Bond-Spec...468QQihZ008QQcategoryZ782QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver... http://cgi.ebay.com/James-Bond-Danb...191QQihZ008QQcategoryZ782QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I definately plan on going back and picking them both up.
PAyoungin

T

TreasureTales

PA, good for you for getting to the auction and buying a couple of things. The coins should increase in value so hang onto them. Those Bond cars are doing very well on eBay it seems. The yard sales for me are almost as much fun as MDing. Never know what kind of a "treasure" you'll find at them.

Become friendly with a local jeweler so you can have gemstones and precious metals checked for authenticity at times. Keep at it and soon you'll be making some profits and having fun doing it. Good luck.

-----------------

I know a fellow who buys at yard sales, then sells items to antique dealers in the area as well as to people who ask him to look for "things." He's made enough money/profits to buy several lowered-priced lots in the county. He then sells those pieces of property for a nice profit and was able to quit his regular job as a result.

OP
OP
P

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
Thats awesome. Im only 17 so i figure if I make a bit of money now nand invest it in bigger things it will eventually lead to more bigger, better things. That would be great to one day not have to work and just do something like that guy. Thanks for the support.
PAyoungin

OP
OP
P

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
No im still trying to contact ebayy to figure out if I will be able to switch the account over to my name when I turn 18, if not I am not really sure what I will do because I kind of view it as a waste to build up a good reputation and then have to get rid of it as soon as I turn 18.

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whos name is it in now, and why cant you use that one when you turn 18?

OP
OP
P

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
It would be in my moms name, and because you have to be 18 to have an account I can not have one. Wouldnt it need to be in my name if Im the onee selling off of it?

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PAyoungin said:
It would be in my moms name, and because you have to be 18 to have an account I can not have one. Wouldnt it need to be in my name if Im the onee selling off of it?
i guesse but are you selling things on it now?

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
PAyoungin,
Keep doing what you are doing. If you enjoy this, learn all you can about it and it will turn into a career for you. When I was younger my dad told me to learn a trade and try to be the best one around at it. As a result of it I turned out to be one of the best and well known building contractors of the area. The point is , you have to follow a path that you really enjoy doing. It is no fun at all going to a job every day thru life hating every minute of it and can't wait until quitting time. Do what you enjoy and give it your best and you will be rewarded for it. Good luck to you,

D

Diggerbryan

Hey Pa, I got my first ebay account when I was 15 or 16. You can have it in your own name however you will have to use your mom's credit card or checking account # to sign up. That's what I did anyway.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PAyoungin,
You can make some good extra $ picking up things at those auctions. My Dad (retired) lives in Indiana and has made a good living buying at auctions, then reselling the items. He mainly picks up appliances and furniture cheap, then resells them. He once picked up a whole row of boxes filled with what everyone thought was just junk for only $3. When he got the stuff home and went through it, he discovered an old porcelain beer sign, that he sold to a collector for about $1000!
You are fortunate to have all those old farm auctions up in your area, just like they have in Indiana too. Today, we have the luxury of being able to sell stuff on the internet where millions of people can see it and bid. (E-bay)
You can also list stuff FREE on WWW.CRAIGSLIST.COM
This has become a VERY popular site to buy and sell on. You can list your items in your area, so you don't have to ship them. This works great on big items like appliances and furniture. Stick with it, and you'll become seasoned pro.
-MM-

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good buys, silver's on the rise.

Fossis...........................

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Hey PA, congrads on entering the world of auctions. They can be very addictive though. My coworker got me started and know I go to them as often as I can. Good luck and have fun going to them!!!
Pepperpump ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread