fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you were to make your first AZ prospecting trip. Where would it be? When would it be? MDing, Drywashing, the usual. Keep in mind your bringing your wife who loves prospecting and the outdoors but has all the wrong impressions about the desert. Been following Billandlindasprospecting page and it's got me geetered up for the desert again someday. Whats the best- public land, pay to play or join a club?

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Fowled, I would look into the Kingman or Quartzite areas in the spring. Get out there too late and you fry brain cells in the heat. Lots of public area in that section as well as a contact in the Kingman area. Depending on when you want to do this, I should have at least a couple claims setup that you'd be welcome at.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Month of May in Greaterville. Recirculating sluice. Not like any desert you ever saw. Beautiful, quiet and nice weather. Good gold if you can dig.

Definitely check for okbasspro PM. He knows stuff. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Take a quad or side by side (or rent one for a day) so the little lady can enjoy the sights: the desert is flat-out beautiful in its own haunting way. And, by having her in an all terrain vehicle, if you drive carefully, you won't have to worry near as much about things that bite, stick, or poke.

If you have a personal connection that knows of good ground or is willing to let you work some ground, that's a fantastic in. If not, join a club as you will often have the chance to meet great people and maybe get in on an outing, group presentation/lecture or meal or two. Plus, you won't have to worry about trespassing, and you'll have the opportunity of meeting someone that's very familiar with the local conditions that can provide excellent tips on where to look.

My first trip was with a metal detector, but I panned too. We had access to lots of claims (through personal connections), and we bought club passes as well. Out in the desert, those little washes had some nice gold in them, and the two friends I prospected with found some incredible quartz-gold chunks the size of your fist! Plus, they found some beautiful solid gold nuggets too. In fact, they took me to the spot where they found a one-pound patch with their detectors, and while I was there, they found some more big quartz-gold pieces to boot!

You'll always remember your first visit to the desert while chasing the gold, and if you make the trip engaging and enjoyable for both of you, it will be something you'll want to do again for sure.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions