Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker & 26" Bazooka Prospector Gold Trap Stolen NorCal

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Just what the title says, I work my claim full time and went down this morning to find my 7ft gold hog raptor highbanker and brand new Bazooka Prospector gone, We left the night before just before dark and the hike is about 1.10 miles from the nearest road and pretty rough terrain here in Placerville...

So this had to have happened right after we left ( maybe they were watching us from the woods waiting for us to leave ) or they did it before 9am this morning...

I guess it is my own fault for not hiding the gear better but did not think anyone would be done there that late at night as it is pretty rough terrain and pretty dangerous if you make one wrong move hiking back..

I already informed Chris and Todd at BGT just in case they hear anything but just wanted to put this out there in case anyone comes across anyone using or trying to sell these units...

It is pretty clear that the thief's were miners because I had the mat hidden away from the highbanker and that was also taken, and the reverse riffle tray was also hidden in a bucket about 30 feet from the highbanker and that was carefully stolen, alll the way down to the mat locking bar as well... The normal avg joe or tweaker would have no idea that they would need those parts... They did not steal other things I had down there such as the Le Trap and other $50-$100 items...

Also had to be 2-3 people to carry all that out and carry it up about 800 feet elevation 1.10 mile hike...

Anyhow sucks but have to keep at it I guess, just wanted to put this out there and if anyone hears or sees anyone with this gear that fits this above please let me know.....

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thieves SUCK! I'll talk to the local shops up my way and monitor Craigslist and other classifieds. Not many of those Gold Hogs around here, Sorry to here about that J, I'm out of action for at least another month or two, anything you need to keep going just holler. Bury a chained up camoed Job box , trail cam on it and where you expect folks to park

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah it sucks big time, I already ordered a 48in BGT Miner as it is the cheapest quickest way for me to get back in action but Todd won't have that ready til later next week... Oh well thanks for the look out let me know if you see or hear anything thanks Mark!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I check your local GUBERMINT officials to see if they may have picked up your equipment thinking it was "left over trash"! They have been known to do this to run off people! and then they sell it! Why wouldn't a claim owner have them arrested ! apparently you didn't have any trail camaras to take their picture. VERY SORRY to hear of this! but this reeks of gubermint geeks!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW-#1 rule leave nothing nowhere no more without a guard........hard lesson to be learned-try a reward as they sometimes work-John

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear that your' equipment was stolen! I would agree to put trail cameras up around your' Claim and also one at the parking location to record anyone coming and going besides you and any partners. If that is not feasible, then you could act as if you are leaving your' Claim but circle back where you can watch. Many times, a crook or if it is Government employees, will likely come back to take any additional equipment that you brought in. It's just in their nature!

I won't leave any of my' equipment hidden around my' secret spot on a remote creek in the boonies because I am unsure as to when I will get back as it is around 100 miles just to get there and I also don't want to leave anything around that lets anyone know there is Gold in the creek and especially so, in this one spot.

Thinking back to that evening when you all left, do you remember any cars or trucks parked close by? If so, then I would be watching for the same cars or trucks as these may lead you to the thieves.

Frank

Last edited:

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
chaps my hide, feel for ya Jvan
I depend on my equipment to suppllement, if it walked away near imposible for me to replace,
two hours north of ya, will tell others in my area

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Should get a trail cam to keep an eye on your stuff while your away. I'd check craigslist everyday just in case they try to sell it. Good luck getting your stuff back.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jvan. I was with Todd and Chris called me Yesterday to tell me about it. Sucks I would worry more about the dudes you had working with you then a government agent. You were hiking out late, and saw a vehicle waiting sounds very planned to me. Just reeks of an inside job. or by chance someone cased your operation and knew the window they had. People jump on the chance to blame BLM or Fish and Wildlife but, makes no sense. They are very neutral and quite kind to prospectors around here.I just don't see that as the likely scenario. I haven't had the chance to visit you yet but, know the area you are in and you are right it took more than one person. The sheriff is pro mining. make sure you file a report. I will spread the word and keep my eyes and ears open. You'll get your Miner by next week. If you want to borrow my prospector let me know I can bring it to the shop for you.
You didn't do anything wrong stashing gear or even leaving it on your claim its your legal right. unfortunate that we have little protection from the law. trail cams can only help so much without the physical evidence in hand.
Contact Baysavers in Fair Oaks, and Black Sheep in sac. on Fulton they buy and sell used mining gear. Don't bother with Pioneer they would have no interest in a Bazooka or gold hog banker. I suspect it was taken for use rather then resale especially since all parts were searched for. It is someone who knows the unit fairly well.
I would also contact Doc and ask how many have actually been sent to Cali. Maybe he can help in some way. Is there a serial # ?
I'll be digging the next few days after II finish the surprise brake job I have to do on my wifes car this morning. You have my number hit me up if I can help you at all.

INSIDE JOB:BangHead:........I hope not but something smells like rotten sardines to me!

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks all, Yeah If you knew my claim you would know it would not be the gov, if it was the gov they would of took the LE TRAP that was laying right next to the high banker and there was some other $50-$100 items as well they they did not care to take...

The hike alone they took is pretty ballse, I mean they carried it across the river of 4 feet of water so they hopped over boulders carefully to get it out as I found a wing nut on one of the boulders...

As far as being an inside job of any of the workers ive had down with me I can't see any of them going through the effort as they know I live a mile away from my claims and know that I have trail cams up " as I told them I did "

As far as cars parked at the road that day YES there were 2 or 3 but that is not out of the norm as the first .40 miles of the hike is a common rock climbing area and it is not out of the norm to see 5-10 cars parked there... but the BLM land ends after .40 miles then there is a fence and PP signs ( my landlords land ) that go on to about another .60 miles then hits another patch of BLM land that is where my claims are located...

Thinking back 2 days before this got stolen, I had to run off two 18-19 year old punks that clearly saw the PP NO Tres signs before you hit my claim and who knows they could of been the ones.... This is when I wish I had the cams up active..

Anyhow yeah Jarrod thanks man and yeah keep the lookout and ears open... Chris told me I could come by monday and pickup the 48in Loaner Miner he has in the shop so I will do that til you guys get the new one made for me...

Yeah I am going to contact doc as well, as I know there is very few raptors out here..

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My vote is on those you ran off! Spiteful little *&T%&&^&^$'s! That age group (no offense to those that are) they are probably fairly local and after a month or two will be cocky enough to take it down to the river and uae it. If you don't already have a list of your claim neighbors let me know and I can get ya one. Did they get the pump and motor, if so what make and model? Years and years ago down on my Dads old claim, which was a mofo to get into, ropes all the way in. A survey crew came through, only folks besides the family we ever saw in that hole. Dad and my uncles had a 6", a 4", and the old innertube 2" backpack for the kids to play with. The following weekend we noticed something not quite rightt on the way in- lazy fers took the 2",

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Just what the title says, I work my claim full time and went down this morning to find my 7ft gold hog raptor highbanker and brand new Bazooka Prospector gone, We left the night before just before dark and the hike is about 1.10 miles from the nearest road and pretty rough terrain here in Placerville...

So this had to have happened right after we left ( maybe they were watching us from the woods waiting for us to leave ) or they did it before 9am this morning...

I guess it is my own fault for not hiding the gear better but did not think anyone would be done there that late at night as it is pretty rough terrain and pretty dangerous if you make one wrong move hiking back..

I already informed Chris and Todd at BGT just in case they hear anything but just wanted to put this out there in case anyone comes across anyone using or trying to sell these units...

It is pretty clear that the thief's were miners because I had the mat hidden away from the highbanker and that was also taken, and the reverse riffle tray was also hidden in a bucket about 30 feet from the highbanker and that was carefully stolen, alll the way down to the mat locking bar as well... The normal avg joe or tweaker would have no idea that they would need those parts... They did not steal other things I had down there such as the Le Trap and other $50-$100 items...

Also had to be 2-3 people to carry all that out and carry it up about 800 feet elevation 1.10 mile hike...

Anyhow sucks but have to keep at it I guess, just wanted to put this out there and if anyone hears or sees anyone with this gear that fits this above please let me know.....

That's terrible.

I agree with others that there's nothing worse than getting hit by thieves. Trail cams or not, the people that want to steal find a way. Not long ago, a fellow prospector's camp got hit and they stole the trail cams too!

The only fool-proof method is to pack it in and pack it out as John says. Still, that doesn't help you feel any better right now, so I'm sorry you got hit by some rotten low-life individuals.

Check with your home/renter's insurance. You may be able to claim what was stolen under your policy.

All the best,

Lanny

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey jvan...it's a sad fact we live in a world filled with thieves. I too have been a victim on several (fool me once...you know the rest) occasions. We lived at a spot in FL for over 10 years on a little over an acre and completely fenced with zero problems. We had a garage sale before we moved. 3 suspicious guys showed up...the kind you would NEVER see at a garage sale...made me nervous but what are you gonna do? A week after the sale, someone came back at night, jumped the 4' gated fence and got $500 worth of stuff out of our two unlocked vehicles. We moved cross country and within a month had an old small cooler stolen (my dads cooler who had long passed) with 3 beers and 4 sodas right next to our front door. We did not get our stuff back but heard later the "ring" of thieves was a grandma driving her grand kids around in the early morning. While one kid worked one side of the road, other kid the other side, they would keep trying car doors until they found unlocked doors.

I went to HD and picked up some "video surveillance cameras in use" signs and ordered some motion detecting spot lights. That and trail cams should go a long way to help fix the problem.

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I agree this reeks of the government. Id go check you local ranger station. these guys are supposed to help us but they do whatever they can to try and stop us. there becoming a joke and also get the cops involved. go around to every pawn shop within 100 miles. and ask if someone pawned this stuff. you can ask that. if you ask if someone brought this stuff in and they start getting all maybe but we can't tell you tell then it's stolen. the police are looking for the items and if they have it then they need to come out and say so orthey'll be arrested for an accessory. by this point you just call them yourself and have them come get it cause most likely they have it

Last edited:

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
I would do a drive by and check some of the local open areas
I'm sure they will want to try their (yours) new stuff.
I'll keep an eye out for local SF bay area Craigslist

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree knowing of the kids you ran into changes my opinion...dang it

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the kids but you will know if it was rangers because they will send you a letter in the mail to come remove the items from your claim with in 30 days. They send the letter out after they have taken your ugly gear out of the river to purge the environment of your horrible toxic mining gear.

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks all, Was kinda surprised how many of you guys that know me personally that reached out to me or text me offering to loan me your gear, Thanks All

As far as it being government I am 100% sure it was not anything to do with government. Reason I say that is 1, I own all 3 claim able claims in the direct area 2, All the property around my claims are private property, To even get to my claims you have to trespass on private property 3, They did not take my 4 pumps and two of those pumps were laying out in the open because they need repaired and the Le Trap was just sitting there not touched along with $500ish worth of other odd and ends items shovels, picks, hand dredge, hoses and many other things.

For those on here that have been down to my claims also know why it would not be any Gov, and there is no ranger station anywhere near by maybe 20 miles away as I said 95% of all the land within many miles of my claims is private property very little BLM land...

My guess is it was those teenagers or some snipping kid I let come out a few months ago and work with me for a few days....

Oh well just have to roll with the punches, Hangtowndiggins aka Jon was kind enough to let me get his 48in Bazooka Miner so have that now and will be using that for a little while...

Thanks again all, and if anyone hears anything let me know.. Thanks

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It was probably one of the kids...nobody else is going to be dumb enough. The sad part about it is the chance of recovering this sounds kind of slim, it seems as if they took it to use, considering they were so careful to find everything. Best of luck though, I'll keep my eyes peeled for Gold hogs when I'm out that way.

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup I know chances are slim to none, lesson learned on my part... Karma will get them back one day...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions