First Beach Coin

ScottyLee

Jul 4, 2006
Key Largo FL
Well with the wind blowing 20 to 30 it looked like a good day to play with the new Excalibur 1000. I drove close to Sebastian and found a nice spot on the beach. As I walked out onto the beach and saw a few others had the same idea I did today, a few of the sparkles went out in my eyes. A little ways up the beach I came upon a fellow MD'er and we started to chat. he told me his name was Ray. He was using a Excalibur also but his was all tricked out with all kinds of accessory's and a custom coil. He gave me some pointers on the Excalibur, checked mine over to make sure I had everything set right. We talked a bit more and He pointed to a spot a about a half mile up and told me that I might find some Spanish coins there. I made my way to the spot. Picked up a handfull of square nails and other stuff to fill my pockets. The best was the coin in the pictures below. I found it within 40 feet of the spot Ray told me to look. Just goes to show helpfull fellow MD'ers are.

Thanks Ray,
Scotty Gray

Attachments

• P9300551.jpg
    P9300551.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 815
  • P9300552.jpg
    P9300552.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 802
Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holey cow that was so nice of him... and lookie what you got.... ohh for that to happen to me would be awesome..and one day it will........big congrats

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here it is after a little cleaning.

Attachments

• ScottyLee\'s first beach find 003.jpg
    ScottyLee\'s first beach find 003.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 749
  • ScottyLee\'s first beach find 004.jpg
    ScottyLee\'s first beach find 004.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 757

lowtones

Aug 19, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur , Explorer 2 ,Soverign elite,
Geat find and a good man for giving up the information. In my neck of the woods when someone tells you about a 1/2 mile up the beach , your best bet is to stay right where you are.
lowtones

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Scotty, congrads on the coin, is it a 4 or 8 and did you hit any of that black sand while digging it up. Norman

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
ScottyLee:

Nice coin… I’ll trade you the one I found, it’s shinier and newer. ;D
Good job. Best of luck on finding more.

HH
Dale

Attachments

• copy.jpg
    copy.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 651

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ScottyLee, like you guys are not getting enough off the bottom, now your cleaning off the beaches!

Nice Find, keep up the good work!

Tom

tac512ltd

Aug 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark; Aquavision 2007
Scotty = Great Job, Nice Coin. Tim

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
ScottyLee said:
MoTwister said:
Scotty, congrads on the coin, is it a 4 or 8 and did you hit any of that black sand while digging it up. Norman

MoTwister, yes there was some black sand on the beach.
There was a lot of black sand where I was but I thought it was renourishment.
I would be there if my pulse was working. :'( Good luck. Hard work obviously pays off. You wont find anything if you dont try. :)

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
The reason that I ask about the black sand is that in the deeper layers of the beach the 300 year old layers there is black and yellow sand. That is what the old timers would look for when digging for treasure. The black and yellow striations of sand. Find that and your chance of finding the old Spanish coins went up.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
MoTwister said:
The reason that I ask about the black sand is that in the deeper layers of the beach the 300 year old layers there is black and yellow sand. That is what the old timers would look for when digging for treasure. The black and yellow striations of sand. Find that and your chance of finding the old Spanish coins went up.
I understand completely Mo, but the beach has to cut through 4-10 feet of fill before getting to the original beach, and then a bit more to the black sand. I saw a lot of black sand, but the sand that I saw was from the renourishment fill. :)
I dont know about Scotty Lee's black sand. I wasnt searching that far north.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread