First box

Crow1

Oct 25, 2012
WI
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys, I kinda stumbled across this site from another forum and got interested in coin rolling.

Anyways, I went to a bank today and asked if they could order me a box of halves. At first they were confused and thought I wanted $1 Eisenhowers, and I was like no half dollars haha. Anyways they tell me there's a fee, even if you have an account with them, which was $5. I paid it and then the lady produced a bag with rolls of halves in it, is this how they normally come? Apparently they had some in the safe. It kinda made me nervous, I thought maybe they were pre sorted or something. Anyways I sorted through all the coins now and found 1-1964, 1-1968, and a 2004.

Idk if this is good or bad for a box/bag, how many do you guys usually find?

Pretty exciting though haha, I thought it was funny walking around with $500 in half dollars

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Crow1

Oct 25, 2012
WI
Primary Interest:
Other
^^ oops sorry

To clarify they gave me 50 rolls in a clear bag, sealed off at the top with a security device and it said $500 half

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I won't pay their stupid fees but since you found silver you are ahead. I would look for a no fee pick up bank myself.

OP
OP
C

Crow1

Oct 25, 2012
WI
Primary Interest:
Other
The major problem is I'm only here for college, its a small city with no national chains

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fees are not worth it, you won't find enough to make profit. Try to find another bank, or a different town.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen the rolls in a bag, but bag or box I agree with the others here - don't pay for it.

OP
OP
C

Crow1

Oct 25, 2012
WI
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright, thanks guys. Im gonna call up some other banks in town, anyone have any luck with credit unions?

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some good finds. The only fee that you should ever pay is the price of gas that it takes to drive to the bank.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Try to use their opportunity to order Eisenhowers. It's hard to get Ikes at any bank. If you find a lot, continue with the $5 on Ikes, if not, just stop.

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
IMO, I would pay the fee for a few boxes/bags. If they stink you can stop but who knows you may find a good amount. Bit of a gamble but worth trying if you ask me.

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don' think I'd do the fee for halves if you have an alternative, but I'd do it in a second for the Ikes. You probably won't find anything with them, but you can pretty easily get 20% profit on ebay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread