frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a neighboring house that has been abandoned for quite some time. Didn't get any good hits in the back yard so I ventured up front...
Along the picket fence and sidewalk leading up to the house is where I got two of the pennies and the quarter. The first hit was a 1948 Wheatie (First wheat penny I've dug...and the oldest coin so far...still green behind the ears!) Second was the 2000 Virginia state quarter...then the next hit produced the 1972 cent. We dug up the hook after finding the coins. Must have been from an old toy...all the newer ones are plastic.
My stepson and I meandered over to another vacant old house from the early 1900s and found a 1970 penny. Still want to go back to both properties and hunt some more.

IMAG0270.jpg

I know that cleaning the coins are frowned upon by the majority...but since there wasn't any rare coins in the lot I thought I would give them a bath in vinegar...rinse in warm water...and light scrub with baking soda paste with a soft bristle toothbrush. I couldn't believe how much grime came off but I think I lost some of the detail in the process. I definitely wouldn't do that to an older coin.

Thanks for lookin!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread