First Coin Purchase

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was a kid we'd always go to Miami on vacation and stay with my grandparents. One year my dad, grandfather and I went to the Miami coin show. It was the summer of 1964 and I was getting ready to start 5th grade. The show was awesome. Huge for a 5th grader. I saw my first gold bar. The dealer invited me to pick it up. I couldn't budge it. I must have looked bored after a while, so my grandfather gave me a $5 bill and told me to go buy the oldest coin I could that still had a date. I cruised the show and ended up looking at this large cent. It was $7 and I told the dealer all I had was $5. He laughed and sold it to me for $5. My grandpa thought I did okay. I've never had it graded, so don't have any idea. Gary

DSC09207.JPG DSC09208.JPG

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Love the story of "the start of a coin collection hobby". Almost like my story with my dad & I. You will most likely keep that coin the rest of your life, suggest put it in a round tight capsule and keep it in your pocket forever. Thanks for sharing the memories.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great deal to me. Maybe "Fine details".
Good for maybe a "buck fifty" range once it's slabbed.

But the memories are priceless. :thumbsup:

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even in 1964 you did well! In fine condition, it was worth about $15, considering it is the small date, large fraction variety. image.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful old copper! Thank You for sharing the story! :occasion14:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a pretty coin. I wish they came out of the ground looking like that!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
That coins a beauty, great story as well!!!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first coin purchase I remember well also.....my Mother bought it for me at Kmart of all places. They had this rotating glass display cabinet full of old coins and tokens in 2x2s.Mine was an old 1837 mint drop Bentonian Currency coin that looked like a large cent......i fell in love with it and she bought it for me. That was around 1975 and like you, I still have it and cherish it. I think I would hve prefered a draped bust though....Love that coin:thumbsup:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
nice coin, very collectable too. my first coin was a 1909 vdb unc. our 5th grade teacher gave us an assignment to buy and send away for something we wanted. I paid $1.25 and she had to pull me aside and ask if i was paying too much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread