Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I see adds for unopened 1955 Proof sets in original boxes. I know that the flat packs can be opened and resealed by unscrupulous dealers or bad collectors.

The proofs in boxes were sealed with water activated paper tape, with a "cut-out" "U" on the top wrap (on bottom) at least in all the sets I have seen, including those already opened.

How easy is it to soak the tape off and then reseal it? I have to assume that is what is happening. The stamping and the tape all look original I think it would tougher to create new counterfeit stamping and tape with the U on it, but would the tape show indications that it was previously soaked and reglued?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a 1954-boxed proof set, then flat pak from '55 on. The quality was no where it is today.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, which is why the cameo's which then were among the first strikes are so desired. I have a '53 (birthyear) 54 and 55 boxes.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
There was a time that collectors looked for unopened proof sets and mint sets. The idea was that since it was unopened it was "Perfect." It reached the point that unopened was treated as Proof 69 or Proof 70, automatically, without inspection, and as such commanded quite a premium. Those days are pretty much over, I think. I don't think there is a premium for unopened sets, and when you consider the premium for Full bell lines, Full steps on the Nickel, or deep mirror Cameo I don't think it makes sense to leave them unopened. I don't know how easy it would be to open with steam or water. Another reason to open it.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I still have about 25 unopened sets from my dads part of our collection, around early 60's. I wonder just what I might have?

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Are they 64 and before? I would be tempted to open them if they are to see if there are any Cameos

I would buy 2 or 3 of the 1960-1963's off you and let you know what I find :thumbsup::3coins:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread