First day out with the Whites Beachhunter 300 - ear rings!

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
Received a new BeachHunter 300 from Kellyco this morning, and decided to take it out on the beach and see what it could do.

Due to recent cold fronts, heavy wind and heavy rain, the beaches in this area (venice florida) are pretty sanded in. Even the beach vegetation is under a foot of sand.

I was out yesterday with my excalibur and only found a few coins, so didn't expect much today.

The Beachhunter has a 12" coil, and that takes a little getting used to after swinging the 10" coil on the excalibur.

I hunted for about an hour, and didn't find many targets. The ones I did find were all at least 2 feet deep.

Being my first trip out with the BeachHunter, I didn't really understand the tones, so I set it in discrim mode and dug all the targets.

Found a few bottle caps, and then hit a silver ear ring - had to dig about 2 feet to get it - almost gave up.

Then decided to try my luck, and scanned the area very slowly, and I found the other ear ring - about 3 feet away and 2 feet down!

Walking back to the car got a strong signal, and started digging. Used 'all metal' mode to pin-point, and it showed a long narrow target.

I was figuring a beer can, but dug it anyway.

About three feet down, found a dive knife!

Didn't find much else, but considering the conditions and how search-out this particular beach was, I'm pretty happy.

One thing though - digging a three foot hole large enough to get a 12" coil in to pin-point is a lot tougher than digging the 10" hole my excalibur requires.

Oh yeah, forget to mention - the BeachHunter control head is heavy, so I mounted it on a 2" nylon belt, like I did with my excalibur.

This makes it easier to handle, and keeps the control unit out of the sand if you set the coil down.

Bill

Attachments

• sharkeysearrings.jpg
    sharkeysearrings.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 553
  • sharkeysearrings2.jpg
    sharkeysearrings2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 556
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did well for a test. This digging of huge deep holes is what makes me wonder if I will have to settle for using a cheap detector that only gets six inched deep so I won't have to dig so deep. :D

phantomfinder

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2008
Denver , Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's DFX , Ace 150 , Prizm 2
WEll you found it right, you could have been digging too china & found nothing . & 2 feet is pretty good.... great finds & WTG :thumbsup:

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will learn the tones pretty quick since there is only three. I always hunt in all metal mode. You will get only one tone in AM mode however the lights will still work. I ignore red (iron) and its never been wrong everything else I dig.....

And I agree with you sometimes it seems to go too deep at least my back tells me that. A straight shaft will really help with that machine and you should have a loop support unless you plan on staying out of the water...

Attachments

• loop.jpg
    loop.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 533
  • beachhunter.jpg
    beachhunter.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 615
  • loop.jpg
    loop.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 513
  • beachhunter.jpg
    beachhunter.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 514

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
sounds like you better send your ruler in for a check up.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good show bill, I always liked my BHID, but the Excal is now my favorite toy. As stated before, the lights are like money in the bank. When the red and another light combo comes on it could also mean that it would be a multi metal target. I have also checked those targets out.

Good luck, see you next time.

HH

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
I'm tired from just reading your post. You got some exercise on that trip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread