Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI GUYS

Got a new detector for Christmas.......

Was a nice day so decided to give it a try.....works great in the wet salt......no change in sound / pitch at all from dry to wet.

Verdict is still out on depth..obviously i need to learn the machine and get it set properly for max performance.

One thing is for sure..... I MISS MY F75 !!!!

With a PI machine there is no numbers to give hints as to what we have found before we decide to dig or not.

However this has opened up a whole new place to hunt and opened up some winter hunts while the ground is frozen !!!!

2013-12-29 16.01.53.jpg 2013-12-29 16.02.09.jpg 2013-12-29 16.02.45.jpg 2013-12-29 16.08.53.jpg 2013-12-29 16.09.14.jpg 2013-12-29 16.46.20.jpg 2013-12-29 16.47.24.jpg

Nothing exciting at all.....

Had to dig a lot of crap.....but this is a reminder that not everyday is a great day for finds as most posts lead people to believe.

But it was a great day to be outside detecting !!!!!

Upvote 7

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha...if you had kept walking towards town we would have met!! Check out my post from today!

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha...if you had kept walking towards town we would have met!! Check out my post from today!

LOLOL--THAT WOULDA BEEEN TOO FUNNY....!!!

Was a great day to be out detecting....you musta been above the lighthouse ??

Nice cannonball btw !!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOLOL--THAT WOULDA BEEEN TOO FUNNY....!!!

Was a great day to be out detecting....you musta been above the lighthouse ??

Nice cannonball btw !!

Yep...I was actually considering hunting that very beach that you were on but decided against it when the snow started...

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep...I was actually considering hunting that very beach that you were on but decided against it when the snow started...

You ever find any nice silver coins on them beaches ?

I,ve found a few coins..but where all coppers and bad shape from the salt.

Do you use a PI machine in the salt or do you have saltwater settings for your F75 ?

My f75 drives me nuts in the wet salt---virtually uselesS

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Aqua, I hope you still have your F-75. There are some good tips on You tube on using a PI. Like how to determine the size of a target. Also the Blistool is much like a PI, heck it might even be a PI I don't know but I watched a bunch of vids on using it and you see that you really have to listen to your machine much more when it only has one tone.
Good luck there buddy, I might see you on the beach on day.
ZDD

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Aqua, I hope you still have your F-75. There are some good tips on You tube on using a PI. Like how to determine the size of a target. Also the Blistool is much like a PI, heck it might even be a PI I don't know but I watched a bunch of vids on using it and you see that you really have to listen to your machine much more when it only has one tone.
Good luck there buddy, I might see you on the beach on day.
ZDD

Yes--still got my F75---never get rid of that---it is a bad boy on land !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes.....you are correct... with the single tone PI you must pay very close attention to any change in tone..... the threshold must be set correctly and head phones are a must.

However ... I ony had it out the one day..but these are the things I see already.....I,m still a newb..but I,m a fast learner....sometimes.

Would love to say hello someday in person ...would be my pleasure....but it would have to be on dry land or in a boat....I,m a fisherman for 27 years...BUT.... I CAN,T SWIM !!!

NO DIVING FOR ME !!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be very surprised if you still own that a year from now. I had one, am surrounded by salt water, so know the situation very well.

What you need is a Minelab or Fisher Multi Freq., and if you plan to hunt the salt shore for old finds, I can almost guarantee that's where you'll end up.

That said for the right application a PI works well, so hope it will do the job for you there.

I swim just as well as you... like a rock!

Last edited:
OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be very surprised if you still own that a year from now. I had one, am surrounded by salt water, so know the situation very well.

What you need is a Minelab or Fisher Multi Freq., and if you plan to hunt the salt shore for old finds, I can almost guarantee that's where you'll end up.

That said for the right application a PI works well, so hope it will do the job for you there.

I swim just as well as you... like a rock!

Are the Minelab and Fisher ...PI machines ?

You had one.......did you get rid of it ?...if so why ?

What was your experience with it when using it ?

Only way to learn is to ask questions ...hehe.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Thanks for sharing. Looking at getting a Tesoro PI machine. I have heard that they hit on any thing metal and you dig a lot of trash, but you can find a lot of great things too.

Any idea what the black item with the holes on the left side is?..

The spoon looks nice. Is it sterling silver, silver, or just metal....Just curious.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing. Looking at getting a Tesoro PI machine. I have heard that they hit on any thing metal and you dig a lot of trash, but you can find a lot of great things too.

Any idea what the black item with the holes on the left side is?..

The spoon looks nice. Is it sterling silver, silver, or just metal....Just curious.

ya..the Sand Shark had great reviews....i got a F75 also....just hope the difference in power does disappoint me.

The thing on the left with the holes is a oxen shoe...he best preserved one i found so far...and i,ve found at least a hundred of them... it was encrusted with 1.5 inches of black stuff ..but very well presered.
The spoon is just a stainless steal one..... booooooo.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are the Minelab and Fisher ...PI machines ?

You had one.......did you get rid of it ?...if so why ?

What was your experience with it when using it ?

Only way to learn is to ask questions ...hehe.

No they are not PI units, but easily handle the salt. I can walk from land on to the salt beach with my explorer and have no trouble at all. Mullti freq.... definitely the right tool for what you are doing.

My experience was that it worked as it was designed to, but you'll waste so much time digging iron you'll probably prefer using your Fisher and dealing with the noise. A sandshark with a large coil would be a decent unit at a clean beach, but on the East coast... probably not so much.... meaning there's too much.

I'm having some 2nd thoughts about posting what I did because I don't really want to make this a negative thread, but I think you are going to find out what I'm saying to be true sooner than later. A PI looks like a good choice on paper, and the price is pretty decent too, but in the real world it's pretty tough to deal with and want to keep using.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using my backup machine, a Fisher CZ6 on land and on the salt beaches and can tell you that it simply blows away the F75 on the beach. The F75 can certainly be tweaked to perform well on the beach but with the CZ6 I only needed to flip a switch and I was off to the races!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using my backup machine, a Fisher CZ6 on land and on the salt beaches and can tell you that it simply blows away the F75 on the beach. The F75 can certainly be tweaked to perform well on the beach but with the CZ6 I only needed to flip a switch and I was off to the races!

Yep, I think all the CZs handle it well... and all the higher end Minelabs. Don't hear much about anything else though.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No they are not PI units, but easily handle the salt. I can walk from land on to the salt beach with my explorer and have no trouble at all. Mullti freq.... definitely the right tool for what you are doing.

My experience was that it worked as it was designed to, but you'll waste so much time digging iron you'll probably prefer using your Fisher and dealing with the noise. A sandshark with a large coil would be a decent unit at a clean beach, but on the East coast... probably not so much.... meaning there's too much.

I'm having some 2nd thoughts about posting what I did because I don't really want to make this a negative thread, but I think you are going to find out what I'm saying to be true sooner than later. A PI looks like a good choice on paper, and the price is pretty decent too, but in the real world it's pretty tough to deal with and want to keep using.

ugh....hope i don,t regret my Tesoro.......................they are not really a cheep machine !!!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lots more snow up this way...good to see you can still walk around and try out your new machine! no doubt you'll be popping out some nice finds in 2014

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ugh....hope i don,t regret my Tesoro.......................they are not really a cheep machine !!!

It's never the end of the world. If any detector doesn't work out, you just sell it, add a little cash, and get what you need. In the next several hunts you'll probably have a good idea if you'll stick with it.

I actually used mine at the beach, not for old stuff, but the usual beach stuff looking for gold. I certainly didn't last long at it, but I actually enjoyed myself for the few times I did go. At some point I might even do it again, but of course will use my Minelab.

Just get out there and dig. Success doesn't care how you get there.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Just get out there and dig. Success doesn't care how you get there. "

That is a good line IP.

Aqua, true a PI can't tell one type of metal from another, but if you check targets from different angles, you should still be able to tell the long skinny targets (nails, even bobby pins will double beep along their length, which account for a lot of the trash. As seen in your picture almost all of it) from round, and possibly better targets.

Hey, at least you got a coin on day one with it, in what looks like a rather random type of spot.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Just get out there and dig. Success doesn't care how you get there. "

That is a good line IP.

Aqua, true a PI can't tell one type of metal from another, but if you check targets from different angles, you should still be able to tell the long skinny targets (nails, even bobby pins will double beep along their length, which account for a lot of the trash. As seen in your picture almost all of it) from round, and possibly better targets.

Hey, at least you got a coin on day one with it, in what looks like a rather random type of spot.

Hi Rick

Only first time out with it...... I will figure it out !!!!

Yes...I did notice it doubled beeped on the nails.... but not knowing the machine I dug em up anyhow....at least they won,t be there next time I go !!!!!

Agree that sometimes we think a certain machine is the cats meow if it was the machine that just so happened to be waved over a monster gold ring or a priceless coin.

Luck plays a factor in our hunts !!!!

The Sand Shark is very easy to use and I will give it a thorough work out you can be sure.

Looks like a early retirement for me this year...so will have a lot of time to MD.... .. still a newb to the hobby but loving it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a early retirement for me this year...so will have a lot of time to MD.... .. still a newb to the hobby but loving it.

Ok, not feeling bad for you anymore. :) A sandshark and lots of time detecting probably finds more than any detector and little time detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread