Found old weathered shotgun.

Crawdigger

Mar 4, 2013
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out MD'ing a new spot this afternoon and was scanning the area ahead of me when something caught my attention against a tree. A quickly determined that what I was looking at was a gun. My first thought was to look around for who left it. As I approached it I realized it had been there for some time.
This is where a home once stood but I'm not sure of the time period yet.
Anybody out there a gun expert?
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image-3681814487.jpg
    image-3681814487.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 363
  • image-2174844283.jpg
    image-2174844283.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 440
  • image-2013540462.jpg
    image-2013540462.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 329
  • image-62270517.jpg
    image-62270517.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 355
Upvote 6

jcobb

May 23, 2008
Ft. Worth Tejas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer
Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
Neat find! I don't think it would be to old with packing tape around the handle?

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Turn it over to the local PD. If there is a legible serial number they ought to be able to find out who it's registered to.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harrington-Richardson Md. 58......very sturdy, and inexpensive single shot shotgun, Also came with interchangeable rifle blls. in 30-30, or ,22 hornet in some models. Not manufactured any more, although the company is still in business and makes a similar firearm they now call "The Handy Rifle"......When new sold for 60-70 $, new one now in the 120+ range....Nice find.

OP
OP
Crawdigger

Crawdigger

Mar 4, 2013
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find! I don't think it would be to old with packing tape around the handle?
Yes. I'm not sure if you can see it in the picture but the original stock is missing and a "new" one was fashioned out of a piece of lumber. The tape holds it on.

OP
OP
Crawdigger

Crawdigger

Mar 4, 2013
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn it over to the local PD. If there is a legible serial number they ought to be able to find out who it's registered to.
Good idea. I think I'll go with just the serial number though. If no owner or relative can be found I'd probably never get the gun back. Thanks!

OP
OP
Crawdigger

Crawdigger

Mar 4, 2013
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harrington-Richardson Md. 58......very sturdy, and inexpensive single shot shotgun, Also came with interchangeable rifle blls. in 30-30, or ,22 hornet in some models. Not manufactured any more, although the company is still in business and makes a similar firearm they now call "The Handy Rifle"......When new sold for 60-70 $, new one now in the 120+ range....Nice find.
Thanks GMD52! Good information! Any idea on manufacturing dates? I'm guessing 60's or 70's?

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If someone tried to shoot that thing with a homemade stock plastic wrapped onto it , maybe they're still there too, LOL.

OP
OP
Crawdigger

Crawdigger

Mar 4, 2013
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone tried to shoot that thing with a homemade stock plastic wrapped onto it , maybe they're still there too, LOL.
You say LOL but one of the first things I did was look for bones. LOL

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about Louisiana, but most southern states do not have a long gun registry. Or handgun registry either for that matter. H&R still makes the Topper model shotgun in a few variations. Very odd to have found that though........almost as if some one left it and couldn't find their way back to it........who knows??? Strange for sure.

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a turkey hunting gun to me, duck hunters would want at least three shots, has there ever been turkeys in the area?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a turkey hunting gun to me, duck hunters would want at least three shots, has there ever been turkeys in the area?
..............I grew up not allowed having anything but a single shot........makes ya make every shot count.....and saves on ammo too!!!My Dad was raised the same way only he was gave five bullets and By God he had better come back with four birds or critters.......I was lucky!

OP
OP
Crawdigger

Crawdigger

Mar 4, 2013
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about Louisiana, but most southern states do not have a long gun registry. Or handgun registry either for that matter. H&R still makes the Topper model shotgun in a few variations. Very odd to have found that though........almost as if some one left it and couldn't find their way back to it........who knows??? Strange for sure.
You're right. Louisiana doesn't have a long one either. And if they couldn't find their way back they don't need to be toting a gun! Lol. As u can see in the pics I can see the road. I wonder if it was left when the homesite was abandoned. It was a pretty large tree it sat against.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool LSU! Just my 2 cents, but I would be shocked if that gun has been sitting for more than 12 months. Especially in your warm and humid state! I've seen guns left in a basement with no gun oil, left sitting for 6 months that looked almost that bad. I think that's a recent loss. Within the last 12 months. 24 at the longest, just my opinion.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unique find!

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find, it's modern, you can still buy them today. Your gun is break barrel shot gun! They retail for about $100.00. Happy Hunting.

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shotguns of that period are likely not registered. Even today in most states they can be transferred in private transactions. Only commie states require the registration of shotguns.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread