69.3 KB · Views: 439

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Martyn,

Congrats on your first dive! Looks like you hade some pretty good luck! I am a big bottle fan, but regretably I don't get to dive for them as often as I would like.

Have you dated or looked up any of the bottles pictured?

Keep up the good work and lets us know of any future finds.

Robert

OP
OP
M

Martyn

May 19, 2007
UK
have tried doing some research but not got very far, the river is full of stuff that has been discarded or lost from boats for about the last 150 years. Heard a story about a diver not long ago, lost his mask as he surfaced so borrowed his buddies mask to go look for his, came back up with a victorian copper kettle. so there could be some good stuff lurking down there....

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I bet those rivers have had (trash) thrown into them for more than 150 years. Here in the US our heritage only goes back a few hundred years. So other than items discarded over the last few centuries, the most we have to encounter may be fossils, Indian artifacts, etc.

But in th UK, you guys have a time line that dates back for thousands of years. I know you will find some more interesting artifacts to show us.

Welcome to the forum!

Robert

flotsam

Jun 5, 2007
Keep it up. There are a lot of cool things to see under the surface. Keep safe and realize your limitations. Congrats! I was certified in 77. Its funny, to get certified cost me $25. It cost me $50 to replace my certification card a couple of years ago. I am afraid to ask how much it cost today.

OP
OP
M

Martyn

May 19, 2007
UK
PADI open water round here is £275, so quite expensive.
Can't wait to get back in the water, there is still loads to look at where i found the bottles and two very old bridges nearby, well be checking under them next time....

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
PADI OW certification classes here in our part of Florida are $199 -$250. That usually includes 2 lake dives inland and a 2 tank boat dive out of Jupiter Inlet or West Palm Beach. Not a bad deal, actually. I think the PADI instruction package costs $75.00, the boat dive is about $50, leaving $75-$125 per student for the instructor/dive shop.
It ain't cheap, but getting certified is worth it!
cheers!

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Congrats on getting the cert. and the cool finds. Treasure comes in many forms and if it interests you to the point of obsession then consider yourself lucky for finding your true passion in life like most of us on this part of the forum.

By the way, you can now kiss your former hobbies, obligations, job productivity and spousal support goodbye. YOUR'RE GONNA BE HOOKED! ;D

Pcolaboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread