xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been in a silver drought for a couple months. Wheaties abound but silver...? Nowhere to be found. The early bird gets the silver right? So I met the Silver bandit down by the water at 6:44. He wanted to hunt the beach but I have never had much luck in salt water with the AT Max.. I opted to go up to the nearby park that I knew was going to be super trashy. It was that and more. I was getting tons of trash tones but no coins. My first coin was a 1945 War Nickle! That was a nice coin to break the silver doldrums. Next I found a 1945 dog license tag that I damaged with the shovel. Oops I'm glad it wasn't something like a GW button. I went on to dig two more IHP's to my excitement. After awhile I met up with the bandit and Ry and decided to go to another area. My day was made several times over so anything else would be icing on the old treasure chest! I found a few Wheaties and then came another IHP! In all I got an 1887, 89 and 1900! Next I got high tone and gave it a dig. Out popped the coolest fob I've ever found. To be honest it's the only one I've found. It was an arrow head shaped watch fob with a Native American chief on it!

Now I have to say that I really like native American iconography. I guess at some point I bought into the myth of it all. It's strange but it's important to know the historical facts: Their story is sad and ironic in this country. There was basically a genocide of Native Americans starting back in the 1600's with things like King Philips War. As settlers and the Us Gov expanded westward the genocide continued well into the late 1800's as native lands were gobbled up. The native people who were treated about as badly as slaves became a symbol of American freedom, liberty and strength and nobility. It was almost like they had completely forgotten the past and had the perfect symbol to represent Americas undying quest to self govern and be free and do the right thing... which is almost never what actually happened. We were still stamping out IHP's by the million when the US government decided it was time to forcibly remove the Native people from their rightful land. How's that for brutal Irony? What does it all mean? Sometimes Cowboys and Indians is a little more complicated than a kids game.

Anyway no idea on a date for this fob. I saw it listed as Bastian Bros Rochester NY. I'm not sure if it's related to Indian Motorcycles or what? Any help would be excellent!

Then I found a much welcomed silver spill of a Washington Quarter, Merc Dime and a Rosie! What a good day to dig!!!

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_7089.JPG
    IMG_7089.JPG
    863.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_7090.JPG
    IMG_7090.JPG
    814.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7091.JPG
    IMG_7091.JPG
    670.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7092.JPG
    IMG_7092.JPG
    641.1 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 29

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunts! That is quite the find on the fob! I don't believe the image matches the Indian on any Indian Motocycle ephemera nor does it resemble the image used for Pontiac cars. Hopefully you can find some answers here on that piece...Good hunting

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice finds! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great day good idea to wonder to that spot IHs and gotta love those silver spills when the pin pointer keeps beepin That fob is fobulas Thats a good spot to keep at with the ol Max Ill tell ya the max and pro are great machines like a swiss army knife Well done keep rippin my friend Tommy

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the thoughts I'll keep looking for the answer!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds, Congrats! Great way to break the Silver drought!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great day good idea to wonder to that spot IHs and gotta love those silver spills when the pin pointer keeps beepin That fob is fobulas Thats a good spot to keep at with the ol Max Ill tell ya the max and pro are great machines like a swiss army knife Well done keep rippin my friend Tommy

Rip on as well Tommy! We recently had a baby boy and his middle name is Ripley. Yes he will be known as Rip someday!!! haha!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google "Improved Order of Red Men"
Might have something to do with that .
Gary

The Improved Order of Red Men: A fraternal organization that was only open to white men who dressed as Native Americans and referred to outsiders as palefaces and used native terminology like "kindle a fire" to start a meeting. You can't even make this stuff up. Amazing history I had no idea about it and it further underscores what I was saying about what has happened to Native Americans.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. Thanks for "American History in a Nutshell." ( you really don't have to feel guilty for finding Indian Head pennies, or an Indian key fob ). I had no idea. Genocide? And here I thought they gave us Thanksgiving, corn, and tobacco.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rip on as well Tommy! We recently had a baby boy and his middle name is Ripley. Yes he will be known as Rip someday!!! haha!
Congrats on your son a little treasure.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I don't feel bad about finding the IHP's I greatly appreciate them. It was absolutely genocide. Read Mayflower and Custer's last stand both by Philbrick. Those books are an accurate portrayal of early America. Those books both give a good perspective on what was going on between Colonists / Americans and the Native Americans 200 years apart.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Thanks for "American History in a Nutshell." ( you really don't have to feel guilty for finding Indian Head pennies, or an Indian key fob ). I had no idea. Genocide? And here I thought they gave us Thanksgiving, corn, and tobacco.

No I don't feel bad about finding the IHP's I greatly appreciate them. My post isn't about feeling guilty for being white or European it's about knowing the real history behind our country. It was absolutely genocide. Read Mayflower and Custer's last stand both by Philbrick. Those books are an accurate portrayal of early America. Those books both give a good perspective on what was going on between Colonists / Americans and the Native Americans 200 years apart

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been in a silver drought for a couple months. Wheaties abound but silver...? Nowhere to be found. The early bird gets the silver right? So I met the Silver bandit down by the water at 6:44. He wanted to hunt the beach but I have never had much luck in salt water with the AT Max.. I opted to go up to the nearby park that I knew was going to be super trashy. It was that and more. I was getting tons of trash tones but no coins. My first coin was a 1945 War Nickle! That was a nice coin to break the silver doldrums. Next I found a 1945 dog license tag that I damaged with the shovel. Oops I'm glad it wasn't something like a GW button. I went on to dig two more IHP's to my excitement. After awhile I met up with the bandit and Ry and decided to go to another area. My day was made several times over so anything else would be icing on the old treasure chest! I found a few Wheaties and then came another IHP! In all I got an 1887, 89 and 1900! Next I got high tone and gave it a dig. Out popped the coolest fob I've ever found. To be honest it's the only one I've found. It was an arrow head shaped watch fob with a Native American chief on it!

Now I have to say that I really like native American iconography. I guess at some point I bought into the myth of it all. It's strange but it's important to know the historical facts: Their story is sad and ironic in this country. There was basically a genocide of Native Americans starting back in the 1600's with things like King Philips War. As settlers and the Us Gov expanded westward the genocide continued well into the late 1800's as native lands were gobbled up. The native people who were treated about as badly as slaves became a symbol of American freedom, liberty and strength and nobility. It was almost like they had completely forgotten the past and had the perfect symbol to represent Americas undying quest to self govern and be free and do the right thing... which is almost never what actually happened. We were still stamping out IHP's by the million when the US government decided it was time to forcibly remove the Native people from their rightful land. How's that for brutal Irony? What does it all mean? Sometimes Cowboys and Indians is a little more complicated than a kids game.

Anyway no idea on a date for this fob. I saw it listed as Bastian Bros Rochester NY. I'm not sure if it's related to Indian Motorcycles or what? Any help would be excellent!

Then I found a much welcomed silver spill of a Washington Quarter, Merc Dime and a Rosie! What a good day to dig!!!

Thanks for reading!

It took me a while Googling but here is a lead on the Indian Head Arrowhead Watch Fob.. Here's one for sale for $275!
"Antique Bronze Indian Chief Arrowhead Watch Fob Bastian Bros Rochester NY"

Nice Finds!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Looks like you had a good hunt and pulled in a lot of keepers. That is always a great feeling. Way to go and thanks for sharing!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread