First Ever Nickel Box. Was it worth it?

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ok so im a total newb on nickels. I mean i know all about nickels in our history and the dates but are my results on my first nickel box average, above, below so I know if it want to continue doing them? I set out hoping for 2010s of course but i ended up with 2 dateless buffalos, 1 silver wartime 1943 , and 23 1960 or older with 17 of the 23 being 1940s? Any help would be appreciated from you nickel folks.

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a very good box for nickels. I average about .9 silvers per box and never get 2 buffs in the same one.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
JD-GA said:
Ok so im a total newb on nickels. I mean i know all about nickels in our history and the dates but are my results on my first nickel box average, above, below so I know if it want to continue doing them? I set out hoping for 2010s of course but i ended up with 2 dateless buffalos, 1 silver wartime 1943 , and 23 1960 or older with 17 of the 23 being 1940s? Any help would be appreciated from you nickel folks.

I haven't done nickels this year(got a silver war nickel in the coinstar yesterday). I just keep the silver ones and buffs when I did search them.
Looks like you got a pretty good box. Some save pre 60, but I could not tell you why.
In my own opinion one would be better off searching quarters over nickels if your looking for silver,and want to try something different than halves and dimes. Then again there is always the possibility of getting a box of 2009's or 10's. Someone got a couple of boxes of 2010's not too long ago. Never heard of anyone getting a box of 2009's.
If I were on the prowl for these new dates I would hit the business window of a large national bank in a good sized city,or surrounding suburbs.
HH
Rich

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
I think that is a great box. I haven't done nickels in quite awhile but that is close to my personal best. I would do a couple more boxes if you are trying to decide if you are going to stick with them. If there are dateless buffalo's around then there might be some with dates. I originally started nickels to complete a book and in 7-8 months I had all except 12 of them, it may make it more fun while searching nickels. I also agree with Rich, saving pre-60's makes little sense unless you want to tie up your money saving them. You WILL find loads of them and eventually won't know what to do with them all. Good Luck! HH, SE

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Nickels don't produce alot, but they are cheap to buy and easy to unload. You did good. Too bad one of the Buffs isn't dated. My best $100 bag of nickels produced 4 dated Buffalos, 2G and 2VG, and 20 war nickels. My second best was 3 war nickels. They are a little more time consuming, but if that if all a person can get their hands on, or afford, then its better than sitting around doing nothing.

OP
OP
JD-GA

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I appreciate the answers guys. I did nickels out of sheer greed as to what the 2010s are bringing and was hoping to get a box. Knowing this is unlikely I figured id see what was worth keeping while trying a few. Ive got a box of 2010p dimes im trying to unload this week or else its gonna get dumped. I figure if i only made 1$ a roll that would pay for a hell of a lot of 40% halves.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found several war nickles, many buffs (but mostly dateless) and two V nickels--which I like best.

I do one box per week on the side when I am waiting for the next boxes of halves.

apush :read2:

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Yep it was worth it . The other advantage to nickels is that you never hear of them being counted as pennies in the coin counters.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
I would say pulling 3 coins buffalos/silver is worth it, so much easier to dump then halves

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
nice! that box was sooooooo worth it, ive never gotten ANY buffs from circ. yet, but i do get 1-2 war time nickels per box average, so keep at it!

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazed said:
Dude, I haven't done nickels in ages, (I do almost solely dimes) but when I was a newbie I did them a lot before Fistfulladirt told me about dimes last year. Anyway, that's a DAMN good box. I have only found one dateless buffalo nickel in Vegas, and I have a buffalo a cute teller gave me. Congrats. - crazed

Welcome back CC.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I rarely do them. One time I found one of those squirting nickels in a box. That was a great find. Took me quite a while to figure out what it was.

Maine_Jim

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
First off JD that does sound like a nice box O' Nickels you got there, so there's that, now to answer your "Was it worth it ?, well was it? did it give you any enjoyment? a fun way to pass the time? do you like the Nickel coin for itself or just the very few that have a higher monetary value? in other words to you see it as a hobby or just a means to an end? and only you can answer those ?'s, and I would like to know your answers if I could, thanks.

Chuck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread