Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went everywhere and dug everywhere over the weekend. First couple spots produced a wad of colonial items. I still have to get pics of those.

The last spot of the day yesterday was an unknown in the woods. Besides getting a tick, the area is rich in history along a major river. I had fond a place to access the river (it was kinda creepy back there), and dug the usual garbage and some nice 18th and 19th century buttons. I did not find any musket balls but believe I found an old homestead.

I had not intended on staying long due to the trash. I had used my Cibola. It hadn't been out playing much lately. I got a huge dig me I'm trash signal and out popped this large dandy button with a shank. I never remember to bring a camera with me, basically I don't want to ruin a $400 camera, so no in situ pics, basically I never get around to that and flip the thing over and see something on it, but it's caked in wet mud.

It gets thrown in the pouch and this morning I dig it and the other stuff out. And fall over when the mud starts coming off!

It's a George Washington Inaugural button, and if I wanted to dig one, this is the one I would have preferred to dig!

It's the "GW with linked states". Used for the 1789 inauguration, it is/was about the last thing on my bucket list! All the detail and the shank are there. The soil is very, very mild there.

Yowsers! I'll have to clean up the other stuff later tonight, one button has an anchor and eagle on it.

Wish I could call in mentally ill and go back today, but have to calm down and go to work. I'll try some renaissance wax on it to see if the detail can me made more visible, but it's all there!

View attachment IMG_1001.jpg IMG_1002.JPG

Can you spell "excited"?

Here it is cleaned a little more with some wax. View attachment IMG_1003.jpg I need to take better pics when I'm no so hyped!

Last edited:
Upvote 118
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. I'm still sitting here staring at it! Still. The rest of the stuff for the most part is sitting next to me unsorted and cleaned! Come on November when the foliage dies and I can get back in there.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering where the rest of the stuff went! It was still hiding in the dig pouch. This is a horse leather ornament in the early "nipple" style found near the other stuff. IMG_1009.jpg I really haven't cleaned it yet.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few more of the buttons and other items. I thought at first the blue and white ceramic was spongewear, but as the coloration is on both sides, I now am thinking the item may be broken Delft.

The button on the top righ View attachment IMG_1038.jpg t is 17th century.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bump for an Awesome Find.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ow! That bump hurt. But thanks and I'm really happy about it. I have been looking for Indian artifacts the last few weeks. The detectors are taking a happy nap.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Call in dead? How about retired since I'm well over 62 now. Lots of copperheads down there. And far off the road. Not a good place to get into trouble. I was actually way out of my element going there. It is a public place but not a park, so ok to dig but it's wild, overgrown territory.

And that is a buffalo nickel and an arrowhead or drill.

Get a pair of Snake Chaps or make a pair of lightweight and cooler Chaps out of screen wire (not nylon or other mesh wire but actual screen wire) and next time, take a friend with you and an item or two for protection.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy smokes sweet find youve earned it

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! I seemed to have missed this.

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one of the most beautiful buttons I've ever seen, what a great historic find. You must be psyched, congratulations on the banner!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man what a beautiful button to find in such amazing condition too! :occasion14:
Congratulations on receiving your fifth BANNER in eight years!

I use a Museum Conservators paste on my coins and button recoveries as well, makes for an 'even' looking finish. :thumbsup:

Dave

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratz
On finally making 'Banner' I was wondering. LOL

Again 'Beautiful Button'.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was really getting concerned about Smokey's banner drought. The Cat was stuck on 4 since like February... lol.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know how I missed this, but congratulations on banner! Well deserved. I nearly pooped my britches when I saw the detail!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread