All Treasure Hunting
You got a blade! WTG

Brian

OP
OP
Brep

Brep

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks everyone!!! Do you think it's a woodland? I am in NC. How old? Thanks again....Brep

OP
OP
Brep

Brep

Aug 7, 2008
Just-Geese,
Thanks for the reply! It's about 2 1/2" long. How long do you think it originally was?

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Brep, Welcome. Your find could either be a blade/knife or a preform for a Guilford, I have many of these. Looks Archaic.
I'm also in NC. Congrats on your first find. :thumbsup:

Molly. :)

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 368
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 369

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Congrats and welcome! Actually thats a pretty decent blade you have. I have lots of them and most are fairly crude in fashion, it's hard to date blades but like the majority here I will vote Archaic.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I would also say nice knife- I wouldn't be so quick to label it a particular time period as it is somewhat dependant upon your local. If you research some site reports from your area you will find similar artifacts and quite frequently carbon dates to go along with them thus giving you a pretty good idea of the age for that particular style in your particular area.

Mudonmyshoes

Jul 16, 2008
Brep,

Go back and search the area again. You now know what to look for and maybe you can teach your dad a thing or two. Big C ;D

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brep, the material is Rhyolite, banded by the looks of it. This material was used by Paleo,Archaic & Woodland, so the material wouldn't determine the period. Let us know if you find more of the same, you could be hunting on or near an Archaic campsite..

Look forward to seeing your next finds. Good luck.

Molly. :thumbsup:

No expert with Eastern seaboard artifacts, but I've found one or two round here.
Looks like a definate hafting area near the bottem, and the tip was of no great concerne to the original owner, so in my most humble opinion, I'd say you gotta knife blade. Also the near straightness of one edge as opposed to the other shows that side was resharpened more. Really nice first find. Keep at it. This is the greatest hobby there is!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Brep

Brep

Aug 7, 2008
Lucky,

Here's some more photos (for sizing) next to a quarter. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks....Brep :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• findsize2.JPG
    findsize2.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 300
  • findsize1.JPG
    findsize1.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 292

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
With the better pics .... now I'm thinking Paleo to Mid Archaic. What a difference good pics make ! :thumbsup:

The reason I think Paleo to Mid Archaic is because you can tell they used grinding to sharpen the blade instead of flaking, as they would have with Late Archaic to Woodland period.

OP
OP
Brep

Brep

Aug 7, 2008
Lucky and Molly,

Thanks for the replies. With this information I will go back and broaden my search. I found this on top of
landscaping rocks. I don't know if it was brought in or natural to the area. Thanks again......Brep

Mudonmyshoes

Jul 16, 2008
???Brep,

Good question for everyone. Has anyone found any artifacts in landscaping rocks/river rock? Thanks...BigC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread