First finds for 2008

Dex

Dec 27, 2007
Baltimore/DC
Detector(s) used
Discriminator II
Finally I have some finds to report. I've been too busy to get out with the MD lately so I decided to do some prospecting in my pile of pocket change that I've built up over the last several months. I wasn't really expecting to find anything but I was surprised to be wrong.

I found:

2 Wheaties a 1945 and a 1950
1 Mis-struck 2000 dime

Also worth mentioning:

1 Susan B Anthony that was probably given to me as a quarter
1 2 cent Euro
1 Canadian penny (not really worth mentioning :)
1 1/2 Franc

When you aren't in a hurry it seems well worth it to go through your pocket change collection
and see what you have before you take it to the Coinstar machine or roll it. Usually I will catch it before it get's tossed in the jar, but it's not hard to miss things either.

After I pick up my 2008 red book I have further prospecting to do with my current silver collection that has never really been inventoried in detail over the years. I have been quite lucky to pick up some rolls of silver dimes and the odd silver coin over the years. I spent a lot of time cashiering in my teens and early twenties and have never really looked at those finds to see if I have any rare coins to speak of. I am also always keeping my eyes out for those oddball Wisconsin state quarters that somebody at the mint mis-struck intentionally with the extra leaf on the ear of corn.

I guess it just again goes to show that sometimes you need only look closer at what you already have to find treasure that you didn't previously know was there.

Upvote 0

Paul4x4

Dec 31, 2007
Finland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/Pro-Pointer/Ace 250
Wow, 2 cent Euro. Those are rare even here in europe. Or at least we don't actually use such small coins in Finland. 5 cent is smallest we have in circulation. There's of course those 1 and 2 cent coins also, but I have no idea where they are. I don't have any ;D

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
I know what you mean. I have about 90 lbs of coins from over the past 4 or 5 years that I still haven't checked out yet. Every day I just keep tossing more in........ HH

Desertfox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread