First finds with my new AT Pro ~ OLD COPPERS!

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as promised, I said I would post any finds that I made with the AT pro on my own property (dates back to mid 1700s). I have scoured the field with my old Garrett GTAx500 and the AT pro sure enough found some new signals.
A couple british coins (one has a date of 1773), a 1822 large cent, an ornate 1800s Kendrick and co cufflink, and a decorative brass plate from a small box or piece of furniture. The AT pro is showing me some love...I just wish I had found some silver :icon_scratch:
I ran it in "pro zero" mode and seemed to like that the best.

On a related note, the reverse of the large cent has 6 indents that look like little arrowheads or carrots. They are all the same and I feel like they must have been put there on purpose. It could be from some 1940s farm equipment, but I have noooo clueee. anybody?

Attachments

• coin1 (1).jpg
    coin1 (1).jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 168
  • coins3.jpg
    coins3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 245
  • coin1 (2).jpg
    coin1 (2).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Upvote 14
Probably just kids having fun with hammer and "chisel" which could have been anything metal. Keep going with the pro, it will find silver easier than copper.

Great finds. Would love to see enlarged photos of that middle coin in the first picture. It looks like it could be a VERY interesting piece.

Nice finds, good detector, they do like silver, keep looking, need a good soaking three day rain.

Nice digs and thanks for those pictures

thanks. the reverse of the middle british is completely worn, really nothing to see at all. same with the other one

thanks. the reverse of the middle british is completely worn, really nothing to see at all. same with the other one

Many of these coins were counterfeits and the dies were polished down prior to striking the coins to give the appearance of wear from circulation. I'd love to see any photos front and back of that middle piece.

Interesting thread. My old detector was a GTAx500 also and now use the AT Pro. That 500 was a great entry level detector. I still have mine but have not used it since I got the ATP. Good luck. Don and IP know what they are talking about so give them those pics they asked for and they will help you.

IMG_20140821_203615288_HDR (1).jpg

Here are the other sides of each farthing for those that had interest. not much to see but a little detail of george's head

If you found great stuff like that your first hunt with the new machine I'm seeing a bright future for you two together.

You'll get used to nice finds now that you have the pro

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back