First For Me In Many Ways... Spanish Silver!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back out tonight to the old farmhouse I had found a few old buttons at yesterday. I started with digging the old monkey wrench. The 1919 Wheat Cent was about an inch beside the wrench. I went back to the spot I found the buttons, but only turned up some trash and a modern bullet casing. I started to move closer to the house and picked up a good high tone between a lot of trash and turned out another little flat button with some gilt left on the back marked "treble gilt". Just a few feet away I got a perfect dime signal and thought I could have me a silver dime. I was very surprised to see this very thin silver coin come up out of my plug. I saw the hole in it, but could not tell what it was. I could make out the date and could tell it was a 1777 Reale! It is very worn and you can only see a little bit of the crown on the back, but not to bad for 235 years old! This is a first for me and my oldest coin! HH Dave

Attachments

• 10-04-12 (11).JPG
    10-04-12 (11).JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 10-04-12 (10).JPG
    10-04-12 (10).JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 10-04-12 (8).JPG
    10-04-12 (8).JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 10-04-12 (6).jpg
    10-04-12 (6).jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 10-04-12 (1).JPG
    10-04-12 (1).JPG
    58 KB · Views: 183
  • 10-04-12 (2).JPG
    10-04-12 (2).JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Upvote 14
Awsome Spanish Silver !!! I dug my first one last year. The pipe wrench looks like it has been in the ground as long as the silver.

VPR

Congrats on a beauty! :thumbsup: It is nice you can read the date. WTG :hello2:

HH

Awesome finds!..............HH

WTG,wow I can only imagine of finding such a historical coin like yours:icon_thumright:so happy for you,,HH:hello:

Congrats on the reale!!! There may be more where that came from.

Spanish silver in any condition is a great find...and you have a clear readable date!

My oldest coin being a 1923 silver dollar, I feel very envious of your find and delighted that you returned to that area and found it! Wow! Congrats too! Andi

Congrats on your first colonial silver coin Dave. I think it being holed makes it a more interesting piece. Hope you add more to your collection soon. By the way, is that a 1/2 reale or a 1 reale? Looks like it might be a 1/2, but can't tell for sure.

Awesome reale, and holed!

Congrats on your first colonial silver coin Dave. I think it being holed makes it a more interesting piece. Hope you add more to your collection soon. By the way, is that a 1/2 reale or a 1 reale? Looks like it might be a 1/2, but can't tell for sure.

Thanks Bill! It is a 1 Real, It is a little bit smaller than a quarter. I like the holed coins too. It has had some history and I am glad to have found it.

Spanish 1 Real.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet dig.:headbang:
That is a coin that still elides me after 40 years of hunting. Congrats:occasion14:

Great finds Dave.....couldn't happen to a nicer guy! Congrats...the button looks great too.....what does the other side look like? I hope you find many more great things at that site!

Thanks for the kind words Erik! The front of the button is plain and smooth.

Sooper Find Dave! That one is not in such bad shape. There is something special about finding a coin that was minted during the Revolutionary War.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back