First For Me! + Need Help on Something

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a bank last week and asked for large dollar coins. One of the tellers kind of like smirked and said he did have some and pulled these out. Someone must have deposited their Ike collection or something, the teller knew exactly what he was giving me but didnt care i guess. 20150921_225131_resized.jpg 20150921_225159_resized.jpg 20150921_225218_resized.jpg My first silver Ike, pretty cool!

Also if you guys could help me out with something, I found a pair of these cuff links at an estate sale for $15, I wanted to scream at whoever did this ugh. 20150928_224432_resized.jpg 20150928_224437_resized.jpg . Two 1923 S Monroe halves with a big cheap post stuck on the obverse on one and the reverse of the other. They were clearly uncirculated when they did this which makes it worse. So now i just want them off. I soaked one in acetone for a couple of hours and the visible glue around the post easily came off. However the post is still glued down very very tightly. Any suggestions on how i can get it off without damaging the coin any further?

Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... I soaked one in acetone for a couple of hours and the visible glue around the post easily came off...
... Any suggestions on how i can get it off without damaging the coin any further?

More time in the acetone. Because the surface area exposed to the solvent is so much less, the time required to dissolve the adhesive under the post is much greater.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the silver Ike and the rest -

Yes, most tellers are not coin collectors. If they do find silver and go to sell, many times they get lowballed when selling to a jeweler or cash-for-gold shop, so today, with the silver market having tanked, the tellers just sell their coin finds to their bank customers that ask.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome score with the Silver Ike. That '73 is a great find too still haven't found one to fill my albumn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread