First Gold Coin is my Best Find Ever!!

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Found on Sunday, Aug. 19th...still can't believe it! I've been hunting for 20+ years and have only heard stories of those who had dug gold coins.

She's an 1851 $2 1/2 Dollar with great details and a few edge nicks that I can definitely live with! ;)

First two pics are freshly dug, and the next are cleaned up a bit....Enjoy! :)

Thanks for looking and HH,
Hank 8)

Attachments

• 1851 Dirty.jpg
    1851 Dirty.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 10,019
  • 1851 Dirty Rev. 2.jpg
    1851 Dirty Rev. 2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 9,964
  • Gold Coin.jpg
    Gold Coin.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 6,751
  • Gold Coin Rev..jpg
    Gold Coin Rev..jpg
    74 KB · Views: 6,722
Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Awesome find Hank, definitely one of the best. Congrats!

Send into Western & Eastern Treasures before Dec 31st for this years Best Finds Issue. Your awesome coin is sure to make it and they'll send you a beautiful certificate if you get published in the issue. There's info on the top of this Best Finds forum.

Hope it's the first of many for you! Thanks for sharing your inspirational find!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
xlt nh

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Thanks again to everyone for all the cudos!! :)

The coin hit at a solid +35 and never varied...funny thing is, is that two targets later I dug a +36 at about the same depth that was a folded pull tab...Dig Everything! ;)

BDoo....I checked out the Best Finds Info and it said that I had to have the coin appraised...is that a must? Can I just give an approximate value from the Redbook? I've never had a coin appraised before... :-\

HH, Hank 8)

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
Awesome!!!! WTG!!! I have been at it 35 years and no gold coin. I do dig everything at older sites too. Very nice job!!

Rich

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicks or no nicks, that's one pretty coin! congrats!
Man, there's got to be a moment of disbelief seein' that at the bottom of a hole :) Bet that got the old heart pumpin' pretty good!

OP
OP
xlt nh

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Yeah...I think I took it out my pocket 50 times in the last half hour I was there... :o Unbelievable...

It was about 5" down...not far at all..

HH, Hank 8)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
xlt nh said:
Thanks again to everyone for all the cudos!! :)

The coin hit at a solid +35 and never varied...funny thing is, is that two targets later I dug a +36 at about the same depth that was a folded pull tab...Dig Everything! ;)

BDoo....I checked out the Best Finds Info and it said that I had to have the coin appraised...is that a must? Can I just give an approximate value from the Redbook? I've never had a coin appraised before... :-\

HH, Hank 8)

For an American gold coin, an appraisal probably won't be needed. I think that is a generic statement for rings and jewelry items where authenticity could be a question.

I got my 2.5 dol gold coin from last year in their best finds issue without an appraisal.

Good luck and go for it!!

Contact W&E T via their link at the top of the page and ask if you can submit via email.
They want only the very highest resolution photos 400 dpi or better.

Awesome find again! Congrats!

:)

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When will you be changing your avatar? ;D

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Dont you just love the way Gold is not attacked by anything in the ground?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread