ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, like I'm going to get another :tard: or will I :icon_scratch:

We only had 2.5 hours as its Mothers Day, & we were heading for one of our worst hunts. No scrappies & I was happy to get the 1935 Sixpence.

To put this in context I have a picture of the area we covered in several hunts to get it. We were tempted to break the system but gritted our teeth & continued. Gald we did because this little beauty popped out:

1800 George III 1/3 Guinea.

2005 Book price - VF-£120 EF-£300. Mine is nearly EF with small scratches, if your going to find one you may as well get an unworn one 8)

I pictured it with a Fake one I found 2 years ago, up until then I had never seen one or heard of one, except in the book when researching.

WOW - What a great Mothers Day!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 1,604
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,624
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,597
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,586
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,578
Upvote 0

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Cru,
You are still amazing me.I would like to find just one gold coin in my life.
Congrats and keep the pics coming

fortbball9

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Beauty!

Although I should have made it clearer that the starting position was 3 or so weeks ago. We did about 6 or more hunts of varying hours to get it.

How do you keep track of where you stop and start when you grid a field?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BlackX said:
Beauty!

Although I should have made it clearer that the starting position was 3 or so weeks ago. We did about 6 or more hunts of varying hours to get it.

How do you keep track of where you stop and start when you grid a field?

The trackor makes nice straight lines with the rollers & drilling equipment. At the end of the run the crop changes direction, & on the first tractor marks we mark it with white stones that we find on the field. Moving them each time.

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
The trackor makes nice straight lines with the rollers & drilling equipment. At the end of the run the crop changes direction, & on the first tractor marks we mark it with white stones that we find on the field. Moving them each time.

Thanks. (I'm trying to figure out how to do that for large parks but without cultivation, etc. marks...)

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BlackX said:

Thanks. (I'm trying to figure out how to do that for large parks but without cultivation, etc. marks...)

We plot all finds with a GPS. You could use this to mark your place on a field & use it for dircetion to begin with or a compass.

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
BlackX said:

We plot all finds with a GPS. You could use this to mark your place on a field & use it for dircetion to begin with or a compass.

I've thought about doing that. But thought they were limited to about 15 ft. accuracty or so.

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find Crusader - well done.

And you're right about those beans - they will definately make you chit.....or did I read that wrong ::)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
history hunter said:
Excellent find!!! I too have never found a gold coin in over 40 years of MD. HH!!

Well History Hunter, I find that amazing, 40 years and no gold coin. Either you do not/did not have the correct
detector, use too much discrimination, or are not looking in the right area. I might add dig almost every signal,
gold is sometimes very hard to find when they are a bit deeper, sometimes I have even had them crack on me.

Maybe in the area's where you search there were NO gold coins? You have not entered your country/place or
flag on your profile, so I don't know about the area.

And DANGLANGLEY, you have not found a gold coin in 33 years, and that even though that you live in an area which
has a long history, Tennessee. You should find some from at least the 18th century and earlier from the French, English
and later the Americans in that area I would suppose.

I have found in about 20 years 7 gold coins, but in the last 5 none. The 7 range from pretty modern (18xx), some
around 1000/1200ad and even one from 60ad. So pretty mixed.

Do other searches in your area find any or have found any gold coins? Finding 1 every 7 years say some people is
an average.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Cru, especially a gold coin, they are always nice to discover. At the first glance you just never
think its a gold coin, but when it sets in the tingles begin. I know what you mean about griding when
nothing much at all pops out of the soil, after a hour or so. Gets pretty bad then. But if you have the
time (which you seem to have) its great to grid all of the land, just like we did back in September. Most
of the time I just don't have that much time, the sites are distant or outside the country where I live, so
the time is limited. I have to find land with hot spots on it before I start to grid it. Most of the time with
a few techniques I can scan the land pretty fast, but of course you always stand the chance of missing
things.

You just have the luxury of hunting nearby, for that I am also (just like all the other replies) quiet jealous.

F

Felinepeachy

WOW that's awesome!! I'm really happy for you. I can only imagine the thrill. ;D

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BlackX said:
CRUSADER said:
BlackX said:

I've thought about doing that. But thought they were limited to about 15 ft. accuracty or so.

most are about 8-11ft now. So you may overlap a little but not much.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
what would that coin have been worth, in terms of wages?

Discussed this with Dad & we now think it was closer to a months wage for the average joe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread