First Gold Coin !

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around three months ago I decided to go all out and purchase my second detector to have as a back up to the one I have been using for a few years. After it was delivered I decide to just unpack it and put it together with fresh new alkaline batteries. On the second day I thought I'd take it out to town, a once thriving mining town in the California Sierra foothills. I got permission to detect a residence in town whose house goes back to the 1870s and was located near what was than a grocery store. Thinking I may pick up some silver and who knows what, basically I was out to get familiar with the new detector. At first I was picking up modern nails, pennies, screw in electrical fuses, and trash. As I got closer to the property line and what was once a grocery store I got this good signal. I momentarily switched to disc to check if it was iron and gave a good solid signal. As I sunk my matlock into the dirt, came out what appeared to me I nickel, it was getting dark and I could not see very well. I did notice the weight and the lady liberty face. Its in great condition 1898 s liberty 5 dollar gold piece. My one and only gold coin find.. and ranks as one of my best finds.

Attachments

• 5$ gold piece 001.jpg
    5$ gold piece 001.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 2,607
  • 5$ gold piece 003.jpg
    5$ gold piece 003.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 2,592
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Relichunter1

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NYwaterhunter said:
Hey Relic Hunter,,, That's not a relic. You better do the right thing, swing over to Central NY and burry it. No one hunts in Central NY........ :)
Actually-- - Thats really awesome ! You got me beat, I'm still waiting for one!
Take care,
Gary G.

:laughing7: :laughing7: Thats a good one, well I hunt everything and this coin made my day! :icon_sunny: Although most of my finds are relics, I do occasionally find a coin here and their. Happy Hunting !

skydog

Mar 16, 2011
I don't know past values but I imagine the person that lost that shed a few tears! I mean, what was that like a week's wages back then?

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome find & its in great shape!

BurnsideSlim

Jan 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ex II
Congrats on the gold piece Relichunter. Great details too. That's awesome. GL pulling more finds from that site. I got a chuckle regarding you thinking it was a nickel at first, with it being dark and all. My one and only gold piece, to the left, was found at night, so I know the feeling. I thought seated qtr. The slow realization of it being gold was the best part though. Hope it was for your too.

Jim

OP
OP
Relichunter1

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BurnsideSlim said:
Congrats on the gold piece Relichunter. Great details too. That's awesome. GL pulling more finds from that site. I got a chuckle regarding you thinking it was a nickel at first, with it being dark and all. My one and only gold piece, to the left, was found at night, so I know the feeling. I thought seated qtr. The slow realization of it being gold was the best part though. Hope it was for your too.

Jim

BurnsideSlim, :laughing7: :laughing7: Yes most definetily it was..what a great feeling ;D ;D.

tigershark11

Dec 26, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relichunter, that was a beautiful find.. I can only hope one day to get something like that. I've mostly found modern and toy cars! What part of the Sierras? Only ask cause my family lives around Sonora. I myself l :thumbsup:ive in Ma.

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And people wonder why we love this hobby!!!!! :icon_thumleft:

California Girl

Dec 19, 2011
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, White's Mxt Pro & GMT, Gold Master ll.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. I've seen your coin. What great shape is was in when you found in, like it fell out of someones pocket right into the dirt. Keep up the hunt.....Relic Man.:skullflag:

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats one amazing, beautiful coin!! I can only wish to find one!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, HH Hamid

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting