Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted up my finds from a local sportsfield a few weeks back which I think totalled about $24 and a beat up ring. I'm now up to about $122 and a handfull of rings from the same ovals :D

Using my X-Terra 70 I've just been digging a few of the signals mainly for $2, $1, 50c, 20c and ignoring pretty much everything else as rubbish and 1 and 2c coins. Two weeks ago I realised that the silver rings were popping up in the same range as the old copper 1c and 2c so I've been digging everything in that range too. I also found that the greener the grass the more coins there are as if someone drops a coin in the dry grass/hard dirt it just sits on top until someone wanders past and sees it. Coins in green grass don't get seen as much and thats where I come in ;D

Its been slowing down a bit as I though I'd hit most of the areas where people congregate. One thing I realised today is that I hadn't got anything gold. I borrowed my wife's wedding band and it showed up as a 10 on my scale and shifted between 8 and 12 depending on the aspect. Bugger! - I have been ignoring targets in this range as rubbish. I went back to the field today for two hours and had got a few dollars when I decided to pack it in and go home. I walked across the middle of one of the fields just holding my detector straight and not swinging it when I got a beep. It was a range which I'd usually reject but I thought what the hell and dug it.

I dug a plug and noticed a slight shine in the wall of the hole. I carefully prised it out and from about two inches down out popped a 18k wedding band in great condition. Now I've got to go back to the start and detect the fields all over again not ignoring anything as rubbish ::)

Attachments

• rings.jpg
    rings.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 500
  • haul 1 Dec.jpg
    haul 1 Dec.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 500
Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Nice stuff Harry. Now you have to return and start over to determine if you get hits in the gold range on your meter? Wish I had that problem!
Good luck to you. Please post more photos if you get more good stuff.

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
Nice finds! The 70 is a heck of a machine and I wouldn't depart with miine :)

Dig This

Dec 26, 2005
western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Nice finds, the more I hear about ignoring signals the more I am starting to dig just about all of them. I am sure I have left goodies in the ground thinking they were trash.

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
Great job. Love the gold ring! I too have done what you did. I started with digging only coin mode above a penny. Found a silver in the penny mode and found my first ring. Tried "all metal mode" and ring range and pulled gold. I should have listened to the seasoned MD'ers on treasurenet earlier in the year....no telling what gold and jewlery I have left behind at my other detected spot. That's why so many so if you find a worthy spot....dig em' all! The other truism from this forum is that a lot of good stuff is left behind when using discrimination because the flashes off the trash. I have pulled trash and immediately found coins and jewlery.....

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
WTG Harry, that's a lot of great finds.
It's really cool to see the evoltion of your experience.
Great post and photos, congrats!

Smiles!
BDoo

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Very nice pile of finds you have there. Congratulations on that first gold. AWESOME!!! It is a shame that the gold and jewerly goodies are hiding amongst the pull tab, bottle cap, foil (that one drives me nuts LOL, nickel, penny...LoL who knows what all ranges. Guess it all depends on the detector you are using. But I guess if the gold and silver jewerly were in a higher range perhaps a lot of the goodies would not be there waiting for us. I do believe hunters get tired and pass over them. I admit at the end of the day I begin to pass some of those signals after digging up lots of junk. Perhaps I shouldn't but hey I best most all peps here do start passing it up in the end of the day while looking for the old silver coin.

Now I imagine if I were beach combing or woodchipping I would still dig it all. But in the fields that can sure beat you up after 2 or 3 hours or more of the pull tabs etc.

Great job on the gold. Awesome dig!!

Postalrevnant

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and congrats on the gold! Thanks for the tip, I just bought an X-Terra 70 with 3 coils. HH, Mike

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi harry, congrats on you ring and you had more time to m.d rather than watching the scenery. ;D ;D ;D

t.p

OP
OP
Harry_Morant

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the encouragement. It certainly has been a learning journey from when I got my first detector a few months back. I've read here and on other forums about digging everything and getting to know your detector inside and out. Whilst there is always the temptation to just dig 30 & 32s (my $1 and $2 coin signals) and ignore the little stuff, spending that extra time to dig almost everything can really pay off.

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
I tend to overlook penny signals too, thinking it takes 100 to make a buck, unless I am at a old site. Guess I better start digging those too. Nice assortment of silver rings.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds...Yes, you have to work for the gold in the trashy areas...but well worth it sometimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread