Last Weeks Old House Finds - Keepers

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hello all!

Well, winter has set in here and the ground is froze. We managed to miss the big snowstorm that went through the midwest yesterday and got mostly rain and a bit of snow. While the weather was nice the past two weeks, I managed to get out three times for short hunts on the way home from work. An hour here and there at a couple former home sites, now open lots with the low grass that I have been eyeing all summer. One site, I found a lot of really old stuff and the other two, the finds were sparce. I am glad I got out because I dug up some interesting finds. I got a ton of junk and very few good finds, but what I did find made it worth it. Plus, I was just glad to be getting in some hunting before the cold set in.

Nov 28 finds.jpg

I found one piece of gold. It's an old pin with the initial "J" on it and it is hallmarked on the pin stem but it hard to read. I think it says 14K. A dug some clad and several keeper coins, mostly old. Three Mercury dimes total. At the old site a 1917S that is very worn. At one of the other sites, two Mercs in the same hole, a 1943S and 1944 and close to them a 1946 wheat penny. At the old site 6 more wheats, 1910, 1914, 1917, 1919, 1922D, and 1925.

Keepers1.jpg

I also got some interesting relics. An old cast iron Indian toy came from about 5 inches down. It's a little broken but in fairly decent shape. I also found a couple religious items. First a St. Christopher medal/buckle. Then a really cool thing that I think may be a sterling bible cover, but I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated. It says " In Hoc Signo Vinces" and also "Catholic Action Youth Rome". It isn't hallmarked but it came from 4 inches deep and has very little tarnish. I feel fortunate that I didn't stick my digging knife through it as I thought it was another can by the signal stregth. I got two tokens. One is aluminum, the size of a half dollar and has a bullet hole through the center. It says "Red Goose Preminum Money $1.00" on the front and "For Boys and Girls, Half the fun of having Feet" on the back. I think it is a shoe token and I also think I have seen others like it posted on the site recently. The other token is the size of a dime and may be copper. It is well worn but it is dated 1950 and says "Play Penny" on the frnt and "Falsa Pecuni" on the back. There is other things on it too, but it is too worn to read/see. Finally, I found a really cool looking old button. I have no idea of the use for it or the age, so any help would be appreciated on this also. It is in good shape and looks very old, made of solid brass I think? It's heavy. The front has a flower looking thing on it. On the back, it says "Rich - Gold Colour".

Cover.jpg
Button front.jpg Button Back.jpg

So this may be may last "Todays Finds" post of the season as I doo think that winter is here to stay. But you never know I guess. So I will be reading and enjoying all your posts from the warm weather areas to get my Treasure Hunting fix until spring thaw allows us to hunt again. Thanks for reading and happy hunting! (I hate winter!)

Smiles!
BDoo

Upvote 0

Dig This

Dec 26, 2005
western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Excellent colloection of finds, even some silver. Winter is here and I hate it also. Born and reaised in Michigan would love to go back and hit areas around the South Lyon, Brighton area I grew up in. We just may get a warm spell and be able to get out a few times yet, thats what we are hoping for in Buffalo...happened last year dont give up.

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Thanks Dig This!
Yes, maybe we will get a mid winter thaw or better yet, a mild winter. We'll see.
I grew up and lived in Walled Lake/West Bloomfield for 40 years and had friends in Brighton also. :)

You have a great area there in Buffalo. Did you ever detect around Niagara Falls?

Kind regards,
BDoo

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Beatiful finds bobby...Love that little pin with the "J" and the Indian. Hope you getto hunt a few more times....Thanks for sharing your great pics.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Bobby,

Great Great finds. IT is good to show us that you are not only a woodchip king, but you can take down the old sites with ease as well.

I am really gonna enjoy the old site digs when you do them. As much as you pull out of the playgrounds, will be fun seeing the old relics and things you pull out of the old homes.

Postalrevnant

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics and coins Bdoo, congrats!!! Looks like a good variety to make a great hunt. You could write down on the calender the last hunt of the season and compare it with next year like I did last year. My last hunt of the season was January 22, 2006. Hit double silver this evening and an older coin, working on a post. HH and I hope you get out again, Mike

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
Cool finds Bdoo!Got a little assortment of everything.Like that old indian.Congrats on all your finds and I hope you'll be able to get out some more.Take care.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BDoo,

A little of this and a little of that. Some neat digs...I really like the Indian.

Thanks for sharing with us, you stay warm. ;D

;) RR

T

TreasureTales

Very interesting things. A nice variety.

The Indian I would say is from the 1940s or 1950s, just before plastic items started getting popular.
The Red Goose shoes token was either shot by a good marksman or was possibly nailed up at one time????
The button has the word "colour" which could indicate it was British or Canadian. Since you're in Michigan, I'd guess it's a Canadian button.
The gold pin with the initial was what? A tie pin or a lapel pin? VERY NICE!

Probably not telling you anything you don't already know.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, nice finds again. It is too cold now and i don't have any good sights linned up, so my season is over :'(

HH
-GC

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
BDoo,

very nice group of artifacts.

Love that old St Christopher. Think it
is an "auto pin". Had one just like it.
Had it pinned to the upholstery above
the rear view mirror of my old Ford truck.

Very nice.

have a good un.........

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread