First gold?!?!?

supra889289

Aug 11, 2013
Went panning for gold for the first time and I found nothing including black sand everyone told me there was none around here by me well on my last try I found some black sand verrrrrry little but some and in the black sand stuck there like glue was this little gold picker just want to make sure I actually found some or if I'm dreaming haha

image-1790073719.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
supra889289

supra889289

Aug 11, 2013
Well that don't help about my gold lol I'd post a better pic if I had an ad card that fist me computer

NorCalPilot

Jan 31, 2013
Placer County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I doesn't look like gold to me due to the dark color-- but it could be picture quality, lighting. Lead also ends up with the heavies/black sand.

OP
OP
supra889289

supra889289

Aug 11, 2013
If I can get a batter pic of it ill post it when in the sun it's def got a gold shimmer to it

NorCalPilot

Jan 31, 2013
Placer County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That pic definitely looks more like gold-- it should shine yellow in the sun or shade. If you aren't sure, go to a local mining supply store if you live near one and ask!

OP
OP
supra889289

supra889289

Aug 11, 2013
It def shines yellow in the sun! I was unsure until I got it in the sun and looked it it closer and the fact the the water didn't wash it away like all the pebbles and other stuff around it kinda tells me it's gold idk. And I love nowhere near a mining shop any other suggestions

OP
OP
supra889289

supra889289

Aug 11, 2013
But I will agree with you that it's a little dull once it was on the sun it wasn't tho but that last pic was taken in the shade

nmhunter

Apr 27, 2013
Truth or consequences New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is very hard to say for sure from your photo but it looks like it could be gold to me. The tell would be that it sticks like glue while panning. I would just hold onto it for now and when you get more experienced you will certainly be able to tell. There is no mistaking gold in the pan once you know what you are looking at and how it behaves as you pan down material.

As for seasoning your pan, first wash it with a dish soap to remove most of the oils and then take it to the river and scrub the whole pan with sand a few times. Be sure to use something like jet dry the first several times you pan material and pan in a catch tub of some sort to catch any gold that may get caught in the surface tension. After a few more panning trips that pan will be nice and scratched up, without a bit of the manufacturing oils left on it.

By the way, I always will use dish soap and pan into a catch tub especially with very fine material and I have used the same 2 pans for the past 4 years.

OP
OP
supra889289

supra889289

Aug 11, 2013
That's for the input guys :) I really appreciate it. Just amazing I found anything around here

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And how can I get the oils off of it.

You could probably also use Comet & a Brillo pad,
Just scrub the whole inside out, that should remove all the oils.

and although I don't think I'd do it, if it were my first nugget,
But you could hit it with hammer.
If it flattens it's Gold, if it shatters it's not.

as is, I'm going to say Congrats :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
supra889289

supra889289

Aug 11, 2013
Bad news it's pyrite but I went out today and had some shiny gold colors powder but it was way too small for me to tell what it was or do anything with

Ken H.

Greenie
May 12, 2010
Kennesaw Georgia
How about you take a pair of pliers, set the pickers between the very end of the teeth and slowly squeeze the pliers? If it flattens out, it's gold! If it breaks apart and crumbles, probably pyrite...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread