First hunt at abandoned mill after the (sort of) thaw

Stripeythecrab

Apr 4, 2013
WI, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my eye on a very interesting spot for the past year or so, and since I got my detector today was the first day I was able to check it out. But first, let me enlighten you with a little bit of history: (you can skip this part if you just want to see what I found)

Since it is already a public site, I have no problem in sharing with you all. It's called the Ramsey Mill named after Alexander Ramsey, an early Minnesota businessman. The flour mill was built on the shore of the Vermillion River in Hastings, MN in the 1850's and operated until the 1890's when it caught fire. The mill and surrounding area are now part of a public park. Ruins of the three-story brick building are still standing and there is a small beach immediately next to the ruins. Somewhat unfortunately, the mill is also a popular hangout for local ruffians, so there are a lot of beer bottles and cans mixed in with relics.

There isn't a whole lot more information here, but there are a couple of photos: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsey_Mill_and_Old_Mill_Park

Anyway, with the little history lesson out of the way, on to my finds. Since the past few days have been in the balmy low 40's, the sand on the beach had thawed out. I used the detector while my brother used a magnet rod in the water. The sand was heavy on iron so I had to use a pretty low sensitivity. (The magnet rod got covered in iron filings!) After a two hour hunt the two of us pulled out numerous small pieces of iron hardware, a few of which look like the heads of square nails (a good sign! :thumbsup:) a piece of a fishing lure; a number of magnetic rocks; an Altoids tin (the only cool piece of junk we found) and the highlight of the day, a 1992D dime! :hello2: The Ace 250 was dead-on with it's target ID there.

Among the non-metal finds were some beautiful pieces of thick, vintage glass that I sorted out from amongst the newer shards, and some interesting shells. The photo really doesn't do the smoky blue color any justice. It's beautiful in the light!

There were plenty of disappointing targets including pull tabs, bottle caps, crushed cans and boring scrap iron, demonstrative of the mill being a "party zone." It's kind of interesting to think that this small area has been used for over 150 years and relics from every date in between are juxtaposed right next to each other. Overall, it was a pretty satisfying day, the best part being able to spend it with my brother.

I'm quite excited to return to this site and give it a more proper hunting when the snow and ice are completely gone!

Oh yes, and one last thing: any idea what the small hook shaped thing is? I dug it up thinking it was a fish hook, but it's definitely not. It almost reminds me of a small part from inside a computer or other electronic device. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading all this!

2014-03-15 22.07.25.jpg

2014-03-15 22.08.10.jpg

2014-03-15 22.09.32.jpg

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread