First hunt of 2006 produces first Gold with new DFX (big pictures-might be slow)

D

Deadshot

I finally got a chance to get out and do some hunting today. I started a new job on the 2nd and my free time has disappeared.

The weather gods decided to be nice to me and I didnt get rained on once. Temp was around 50F all day with a mild breeze making it feel like 40F. I hit a few schools and churches that date to the 1850's. All of which have been heavily heavily pounded in the past. I was hoping to at least find a few wheats.

First site I hit was a small school that sits in a little backwoods town park. The school was built in 1855 and in the 1860's it was moved to the current spot. In the 1960's the land was donated and converted into a park. I have found a handful of wheats and a couple war nickels here but my favorite thing about this park is the square nails (I know that sounds weird..... But I like them). No old coins old coins but I got a handful of clad, a junk ring, a 8mm blank (I believe), a old shotty shell base, and some decent nails.

getimage.exe
1-14-06.gif

The next site I went to was a church that was also built in the 1850's I have never found anything there that didnt end up in the trash can on the way down the driveway...... today was no different. I think the pastor detects or something lol.

The last site that I searched was a University that was built in 1855 also. Although it was only used as a University until 1865 it has served as a Public school and a church since. This site is another that has been really heavily hunted in the past. I have found Clad on the surface from recent church sessions. And one war nickel that was not found by a prior detectorist because it was inches from a metal pole. Last time I was at this site I saw a old baseball backstop through the tree line across a fence. This baseball field is pretty old. There are 5 inch thick trees growing all over where home plate is. Not knowing who owned the field that the backstop was on I only had the guts to do a short commando trip to just get a idea what kind of metal was in the ground. It was SILENT. I opened the disc all the way and the field stayed silent. Someone spent alot of time cleaning it out. Well this time I went out with the knowledge that the field was part of the university property. So I was able to spend some time really hunting the field. I found one (thats right one) nail near the pitchers mound. Someone must have had some time and a nice machine to clean it out that well. When I moved towards the outfield alone the 3rd base line I started to find some mulched beer cans pieces here and there. That got old real real fast. I dont mind digging pull tabs in search of rings, but the little pieces of cans suck! depending on the size they depth accuracy varies greatly. And where a can has one pull tab, the same can can have 6 billions pieces after the mower gets it. After about 45 minutes of diggin can pieces I started getting sloppy with my swings on the way back to the car. Skipping signals here and there not really wanting to dig allumium pieces any more. Just as I was about to give up and call the day a bomb I hit a VDI reading of 26 that sounded just a little more solid than the little can pieces had been sounding. "Ah it is probably jsut a bigger piece" I thought to myself, I pinpointed it and it read 2 inches. Sure that it was just a bigger chunk of can I started towards the car. But that little voice in my head caught me after about 15 feet and said "Chris you better dig that". You know the one I am talking about. So back I went. It took me a few seconds to find the signal again, I put my new gator digger in about 5 inches figuring that it was going to be a bigger can piece that was deeper than the reading. I pulled out a nice big plug and ran it infront of the coil. Alright it is in the plug. I split the plug 3 time before I realised that the 2 inch reading was dead on. GOLD. After doing my little OMGIAMSOEXCITED dance, I filled my hole, turned my machine off and made a bee line for the car. After a little onsite cleaning the ring turned out to be 14k with some purple/pink stones (maybe amathest?).

Bethell-Church.gif
Bethell-Plaque.gif
biggoldindian.gif
goldindianmark.gif

Thanks for looking,
Deadshot

Upvote 0

Gadget

Sep 10, 2005
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: First hunt of 2006 produces first Gold with new DFX (big pictures-might be s

Wow! That's a nice-sized Nugget!

OP
OP
D

Deadshot

Re: First hunt of 2006 produces first Gold with new DFX (big pictures-might be s

Check this out. Found in my box from last year is the gold rings big brother. Just had a silver daddy instead of a golden one.

Attachments

• Indianfriends.gif
    Indianfriends.gif
    125 KB · Views: 573

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice site! That ring looks heavy, great find! HH, Mike

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta be worth some loot! ;)

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking one look at the ring ,Gold or silver . The rings are very strange!!!! It's like staring at Madusa, they turn you to stone!!!!!!Great Finds and I would put them in a lead Box with garlic cloves.......NICE......... :o :o :o Seeker

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o What a chunk of gold Shot! :o

I have to agree with it looking pretty eerie! AND that you found a silver AND a gold one! :o

Love those pictures and great to hear from you!

;)

OP
OP
D

Deadshot

I sure hope that it isnt cursed. I think I might get it resized and wear it myself. :)

Deadshot

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VERY COOL deadshoot was wondering were youd been as of late havent seen you in the chat or boards in a while !!!!

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee

Those rings have to be cursed. I would drop them in the mail to me if I were you. I have a good lead box to store them in safely.
;D Those are cool congradulations.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definetly some pretty wicked looking ring's...What are the eye's ,anyhting good?Congrat's on your find's and HH!!

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005

Thats a nice size ring Chris, Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread