🥇 BANNER First hunt of 2013 produces multiple colonial silver!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My good hunting buddy Dan and I got back out yesterday and hit our new site for the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] time, and the first time since before Christmas. This place is very early and holds a high probability of containing colonial silver, although we had yet to swing our coils over a nice coin before today. Dan had been under the weather for a few days and wasn’t sure he could even make it out, but the lure of those early colonial relics was too great and he was determined to get out and hunt the entire day. We started out gridding where we left off in the field last time. It’s a large area with loads of iron, brick and black glass and it’s produced a decent amount of relics during the first 2 trips, but not that killer find we’ve both been looking for. About halfway through the hunt just as we were starting a new area Dan hollers over to me to come check out what we both thought might be a hammered silver coin lying in the dirt pile. Sure enough, it turned out to be an Elizabeth I sixpence and it was Dan’s first hammered coin, and likely from the 1500s at that. It was very exciting to be able to witness Dan making that find. Not to be outdone I soon dug a nice 1768 half reale only about 50 ft from where Dan’s coin had come from. And not long after that Dan pulled out another first – a rarely seen very tiny ¼ reale. I dug one of those about 10 years ago, but don’t recall ever seeing another one on the forums. The back-and-forth continued and not far from where I dug the ½ reale I got a promising signal and unexpectedly found myself holding a 1698 cob. And only a few feet from that I unearthed an early coin and an apothecary weight. So this was turning out to be quite a day for both of us. I also dug this small and very thin silver item that at first I thought was a coin, but after further examination I was pretty sure it wasn't. But Crusader recognized it from the pic as a rare British Commonwealth silver penny from the reign of Cromwell during the mid-1600s which was a shock as I had no idea (see link in his reply below). We soon finished up gridding that section, but since the sun getting low and we had to start making the long trek back to the trucks. Other than the coins we both dug a nice variety of other interesting colonial relics including lots of buttons, buckle pieces, and other early do-dads. My take for the day is shown in the pics below along with a couple shots of Dan’s coins. It was a super fun day and I can’t wait to return to what’s becoming a very productive site.

Attachments

• 010313a.JPG
    010313a.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 1,711
  • 010313b.JPG
    010313b.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 1,124
  • 010313c.JPG
    010313c.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 1,010
  • 010313d.JPG
    010313d.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 1,167
  • 010313f.JPG
    010313f.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 1,239
  • dans hammered2.JPG
    dans hammered2.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 1,090
  • dans hammered1.JPG
    dans hammered1.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,107
  • dans qtr reale.JPG
    dans qtr reale.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,126
Last edited:
Upvote 30

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader - I just happened to come across the UK finds database website and they have a section on Commonwealth coins. There were quite a few of the pennies and half groats. I'm sure you're familiar with that website, but here's the link if you want to check out the Commonwealth coins.

UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD

29 Pennies in 8 years of recording is less than 4 a year between thousands of members, if thats not a rare find (Not the same as a Rare Coin):dontknow: Think of how many hours/hunts & hunters it would take to get 1? (& that could be in some of the best sites for these)

If you had this system in the US, you might get an idea of how many Spanish Coins were popping up & therefore make a comparison?

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER AT LAST:occasion14:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, Congrats on the banner!

Too bad you didn't have a good group shot of yours and Dan's finds combined (or maybe your combined silver) that could have went up on the banner.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That is some awesome stuff Bill. You guys got some of the earliest sites in the US. Must be really nice to dig finds that old.

HH Jer

czoom

Feb 11, 2011
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Garrett ACE 250
Wow for medal detecting Virgina and other surrounding states seem like the best places. California sucks for older items. I have found some old stuff but nothing from the 1800's so far.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OUTSTANDING hunt!!! The hammered silver is fantastic, and I really like the sweet buckle! Congratulations on the finds and for making the BANNER! :thumbsup: Breezie

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you had posted so many good things it was hard to pick out just one. Congratulations again on a great hunt!

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW THAT'S JUST AWESOME!!!!!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on making banner and all the great finds.Hunting next to the James would be a dream come true.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fan frickin' tastic finds!! Nicely done.

All the best,

Lanny

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy @##%#$^$ happy hunt dance that was

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
This was a wealthier than average site, but only later in years (1700s). The site dates back to the 1600s and though small and off the beaten path has over 350 years of history associated with it. The sqaure item is a coin weight.

Dan

Thank you for the reply, Dan. Nice to come across spots used for a few centuries. Early colonial foothold regions are a real opportunity. Glad you and Bill take the time to share the experience. Dave

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool finds!

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill, Congrats on the banner!

Too bad you didn't have a good group shot of yours and Dan's finds combined (or maybe your combined silver) that could have went up on the banner.

If we find any more silver on the next hunt we're definitely going to have to take a group shot.

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spacktacular. im gonna guess you live on the east end, i live on the west end of the state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread