First hunt of the year, hit the tot lots... gold Celtic Stater???

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Alas... no. Turns out no Celtic tribes discovered or settled in my area of Ontario. Weird, eh? :tongue3:

Had some mild weather so took my kid to the park. Dusted of the trusty Ace and brought him along too. Discovered the first 2" of wood chips thawed out, anything below that was like concrete. I started my kid swinging on the playground before Daddy did some swinging of his own. Within 30 seconds I discovered this beauty: a strangely large Celtic Stater gold coin one dollar Canadian Loonie.

I thought "WOWZERS! What are the odds of finding a gold coin one dollar on my first swing??"

Here's hoping this is a pleasant hint of things to come this summer. Bring on the Staters Loonies! I ended up pulling just under a couple bucks in change out of the ground but of course only kept the Stater Loonie. The handfull of pennies and dimes etc I ended up giving away to the many small kids I had in tow with me the whole time I was there. I was the Pied Piper of Playgrounds and I let each kid take a turn swinging the Ace until they had a good signal. Then I helped them liberate their coin out of the frozen woodchips. Of course I gave each of them the coin they found to keep. I was surrounded by little wee smiles all afternoon. Was a fun day.

I've decided from now on that due to my geographical limitations that inhibit my odds of finding some of the really awesome gold/silver/ancient coins that our European breathren find that I will play a simple mental substitution game. Goes a little something like this....

All
Toonies = Spanish Doubloons
Loonies = Celtic Staters
Assorted change = Roman Denarius of random Emperors
Pennies = 1943 Lincoln Bronze Cent (for my American friends)
Pulltabs = Indian Trade Silver

Man oh man this is going to be one E*P*I*C S*U*M*M*E*R!! :icon_sunny:

Happy hunting all, hope you will be as successful as I am going to be!!

EDIT: Forgot the pics... here they are

Attachments

• IMG-20120312-00070.jpg
    IMG-20120312-00070.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 784
  • =_utf-8_B_SU1HLTIwMTIwMzExLTAwMDY5LmpwZw==_=.jpg
    =_utf-8_B_SU1HLTIwMTIwMzExLTAwMDY5LmpwZw==_=.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 864
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would made more sense if your equivalency table was proportional to the rarity of the finds :D

OP
OP
CanadianTrout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
CRUSADER said:
It would made more sense if your equivalency table was proportional to the rarity of the finds :D

Thanks Cru.... let's not over-complicate things here ok? LOLOLOL One gold stater a day is all my heart can handle!

ossi

Nov 3, 2011
Pannonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO INTERNATIONAL (Nel hunter)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrat .

( The original photo of the coins ) :D

BANNER

by ossi

Attachments

• IMG-20120312-00070.jpg
    IMG-20120312-00070.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 542

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft:

Your Gold is in the second picture...Priceless :)

SS

OP
OP
CanadianTrout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
ossi said:
congrat .

( The original photo of the coins ) :D

BANNER

by ossi

OMG - my first BANNER nomination! LOL ossi - you're my new favorite TNet member ! !

Silver Searcher said:
Your Gold is in the second picture...

Thanks SS. But that gold u see is just an Ace 250, nothing special.... oh wait, u meant my kid! lol ya she's an angel! :angel8:

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Your Gold is in the second picture...

Thanks SS. But that gold u see is just an Ace 250, nothing special.... oh wait, u meant my kid! lol ya she's an angel! :angel8:
[/quote]
:D

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've had so much gold up on the banner lately, why shouldn't this "Stater" go up....looks real to me....
...now where did I lay my glasses ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread