Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received my 800 a few weeks ago, and took it for it's first hunt. I've only hunted with a Harbor Freight 9-Function MD in the past, so this basically was my first hunt with a "Real" machine. Not really knowing anything about VDI numbers, and what to dig and what not to dig, I settled on numbers that were steady and did not vary. I was in Park 1 ,with sensitivity at 18. I noise cancelled and GB'ed, but anything higher than 18 or 19 was just too noisy. The location was the oldest house in the neighborhood (I believe early 1800s), and it has been hunted heavily for years. Was out for about 4 hours total, some of them with me following a buddy using an AT Pro, and swinging over his finds so I could gauge what the numbers meant compared to his thoughts (he's what I would classify as an expert with that machine), and a few hours with me going off on my own. These are the best of my finds. On my own, I ended up with 4 silvers, a steel penny, and a harmonica reed. I was getting hits everywhere, with the VDI ranging pretty wide per swing. Most 1-foot-wide spaces I'd get a good 3 tones, and widely spaced numbers, so I passed them by. Again, this is my first machine with a display, and I've only gone out md'ing maybe 4 times lifetime total in the past with my HF machine, so I'm a true newbie!!! I'm thinking due to the amount of iron in the ground, I may have been better off in one of the Field modes instead of being in Park 1. I dug up a lot of rusty iron objects, some as big as my fist which rang in around 13 or higher, which I did not expect. I figured they be down lower, in the ferrous area. I dug up a blue, porcelainized coffee pot lid with rust around the circumference that rang up at 25 if I remember correctly. Again, higher than I expected.

The image is not all of the coins I found, as when I took the picture, I had forgotten that some of the coins were in various pockets of my fanny pack.

vxnmtj.jpg

The Nickel is a 1945P War Nickel, The Barber Dime is a 1914S. Forgot I had also dug a 1943 Steel penny, which I forgot to take a pic of.

vh6ikn.jpg

The harmonica reed I found. My buddy on the hunt found the matching reed about 10 feet away from mine.

My buddy with the AT Pro thought it was a phenomenal day as it was my first time with the machine, I found 4 silvers, and the site had been hunted many, many times in the past.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread