First Hunt with the 9" coil

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feverishly tracked my Deus for the last 3 days...waiting for it to magically appear at the front door. Yesterday must have been the LONGEST day at work since it was dropped off around 11:00am, and quitting time wasn't until 6pm :BangHead:

So after I sped home, ate dinner, did some chores...I finally put it all together and headed to the bulldozed house site that I've hit with a few other detectors. I started on the curb strip which myself, my partner, and his brother have hit pretty hard over the last few weeks. Set up in this program:

4kHz (TX 3)
Reactivity 3
Silencer 0
Sens 80
Disc 2.0
Notch 00-15, 95-99
Full Tones
GB 85
Notch Ground 85-90

This is the starting point for 4kHz hunting that I used for a long time with the 11" coil. The low frequency shuts out iron better than any other frequency, at the expense of sensitivity to lower conducting items like nickels and foil. But if it's a round target this program will lock onto it, even smaller items at depth. Bulldozed and burnt sites like this, as well as the soil mineralization makes it difficult to get good targets with any machine.

After a few minutes of digging foil and trash I got a better-sounding signal...and plucked a clad dime from between a couple of surface iron targets. Then a couple copper pennies...the coins have more of a solid tone and VDI readings than foil and trash, but I had forgotten how MUCH different the audio was between good and trashy targets! Ground readings were in the mid to upper 70s, and my setting of 85 was maybe a little positive, but it all came together quite well

Wandered over to where I found a surface 1916 Wheat with the Vaquero a couple weeks back, and got a soft high tone hit. Found some soft and silty dirt as opposed to the sandy, rocky dirt that surrounded the house - got a hit with the pinpointer about 7" down. Pulled the first Wheat with this coil - a nice 1955 D. Not far away I got another soft hit - not as high toned - but this one was a foil ball at 6-7" deep.

There's no question the 9" coil will get the job done as far as deep targets go - it proved itself in the first 30 minutes of hunting! It may actually unmask deeper items better since the footprint is smaller - not to mention what's coming in the next few months. If I could set Reactivity between 2 and 3 it would be perfect for a LOT of sites - having the depth AND processing speed working together really makes for a fantastic machine! More to come....

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Good job.
Glad you got back into the game with a new DEUS.
Funny when I first started reading the post and it when into a very informed setup, I thought WOW for a newbe he really knows how
to setup a Deus.... Then I glanced over to the upper left and it all came clear...
Welcome Back

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see some settings on 4khz. Out of curiosity why do you run a disc of 2 when you notch 0-15?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually prefer the 9" coil to the 11" also. Pinpointing/target separation is obviously better but I also don't see a big difference in depth between the two coils. I use the 9" most of the time and consider the 11" my backup. The 9" coil just seems more crisp. BTW, unless EMI is a problem and the machine becomes chatty, there is no reason not to crank sensitivity up to 89-93 to maximize depth. Put another way, there is no downside to increasing sensitivity as high as you can without incurring chatter. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the days of yore the standard coin shooting coil was 8". More modern machines seem to come with around 11" coils as standard to make them also deeper relic hunters. Still true on all machines the smaller the coil the higher the sensitivity to small targets with a little loss in depth compared to a larger coil and a little loss of sensitivity to small targets and more depth with larger coils. Maybe it is because I am an old school hunter I use 8" coils on my Safari, ATP, and Infinium for most work, and pretty much all coin hunting. I am waiting to see what the supposed "new" Deus coming this year is all about, and if I go for one it will be with a 9" coil.

OP
OP
CZconnoisseur

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stubbville!

Her first baby...come out sideways and she didn't holler or nothing :laughing7:

Love that movie!

"What do you think the temperature is?"

"One!"

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got it, CZ - its a hoot. Especially that car rental counter scene. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread