First hunt with the Ctx 3030

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took my Ctx on it's maiden voyage yesterday to a park that I have hammered with my Etrac and low and behold I was able to actually find more coins....something I haven't been able to do in the last 4 trips. I'm a believer in the Ctx now

https://youtu.be/0EnYa1dHVkk

13049f5db097d17cf2c6552e85035e83.jpg
2769cb934066c03981bad5c8ae49382b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Upvote 16

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job!!!!!! I'm glad to hear it I am seriously wanting a ctx 3030 my kids are so freakin expensive skating gymnastics cars for them rrrrhhhhhhh. I'm glad to hear it made that much difference. Now I'm even more determined to find that Diamond ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks for the post!!!!!

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a beast. If you haven't already.....check into the small coil. It's a game changer. Wow.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job!!!!!! I'm glad to hear it I am seriously wanting a ctx 3030 my kids are so freakin expensive skating gymnastics cars for them rrrrhhhhhhh. I'm glad to hear it made that much difference. Now I'm even more determined to find that Diamond ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks for the post!!!!!
I think the discrimination works a lot better on the ctx...i have been over those exact spots countless numbers of time and probably only got trashy signals...with the ctx they were pretty clean

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a beast. If you haven't already.....check into the small coil. It's a game changer. Wow.
Definitely on my check list...gotta get water proof headphones first then small coil...and then maybe large one...baby steps so the wife doesn't kill me lol

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have one now if the Wife didn't turn most of my gold into a water heater. I would rather take cold showers and have my ctx then the water heater lol!!!!!

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have one now if the Wife didn't turn most of my gold into a water heater. I would rather take cold showers and have my ctx then the water heater lol!!!!!
Lol I hear ya I had to sell my boat to get this

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It only gets better!

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you once again I am beyond happy with this machine

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At THAT price.....it had BETTER find SOMEthing!!

Congrats? :dontknow:

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At THAT price.....it had BETTER find SOMEthing!!

Congrats? :dontknow:
I scored a great deal on it so I can't complain

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I know the CTX is a bit of a drain on the wallet, but I am about 16 months in and it has paid for itself in finds.

Just use that as motivation to find new sites and hit them hard.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I look at it is life is expensive so spending a little more on a great detector I'm alright with that you know the saying All work and no play makes me a dull boy

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I used an Explorer for years before I picked up a CTX almost 4 years ago.I like how much better balanced the CTX is and I swing it much longer without arm fatigue but the old Minelab can hold it's own with the new one and this is hunting the same sites.If you had an Etrac ,you will find most you can find with any Minelab FSB including a CTX.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The CTX is a machine that'll take you as far as you're willing to go. The more I use mine, the more I believe it's a top machine. Nice digs

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the CTX is a bit of a drain on the wallet, but I am about 16 months in and it has paid for itself in finds.

Just use that as motivation to find new sites and hit them hard.

The way I look at it is life is expensive so spending a little more on a great detector I'm alright with that you know the saying All work and no play makes me a dull boy

Don't get me wrong folks. What anyone feels like doing and can afford to do so, is ok by me. That's why I'm me and everyone else is.....well.....them. :)
If spending more is what makes someone feel like they're doing their hobby the way they want it to be. More power to them.
It's just that in all my years in the hobby I've seen/heard from just about every scenario. I do maintain, however, that almost to a tee, EVERY single metal detector out there will indeed "pay for itself", *if* the user works at getting over something good to find and learn the language of their machine.

That said, technology is as technology does. "Cheaper" brands are less expensive, for a reason. An analogy might be....you wouldn't want your surgeon to perform his duty with a butter knife. Still, balance and education are an awesome combination in just about everything. If one can say they know EVERYthing there is to know about their machine. Then, maybe, it's time for something different.

Unless one intends to make their riches via a metal detector(s), most can do fine with a good, balanced machine. And....that's just my take.

Here's a funny story. An acquaintance of mine was soooooo thrilled that he finally was able to land one of those very expensive machines. He worked very, very hard getting proficient with the machine. And...BOY he was good and it was very impressive in what he could turn up. Anyway, he scored a wonderful permission and we planned on a full day of it there. He picked me up, we went there, and just as we started stumbling around this wonderful place! Indian Head, V-Nickel, Barbers! We were like kids at play in a toy store! But, it started raining. I pulled up my parka and kept going. I looked up and there was my friend running across the field toward the car. You see, it turned out that his brand new, wonderful, deep seeking machine, wasn't waterproof! LOL

I continued to hunt, he got so frustrated, that he left me there in the middle of the field. (we were the BEST of friends! Always taking shots at each other, all in fun.) Giving me no option as he was my ride and he'd left me there "high & dry". I just hunted the rest of the day and then called another friend to get home. I still haven't told him what I found that day even though we hunted many times after. :)

Sorry S.O.D. for the hijacking. :)

By the by, just how deep were those coins? ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get me wrong folks. What anyone feels like doing and can afford to do so, is ok by me. That's why I'm me and everyone else is.....well.....them. :)
If spending more is what makes someone feel like they're doing their hobby the way they want it to be. More power to them.
It's just that in all my years in the hobby I've seen/heard from just about every scenario. I do maintain, however, that almost to a tee, EVERY single metal detector out there will indeed "pay for itself", *if* the user works at getting over something good to find and learn the language of their machine.

That said, technology is as technology does. "Cheaper" brands are less expensive, for a reason. An analogy might be....you wouldn't want your surgeon to perform his duty with a butter knife. Still, balance and education are an awesome combination in just about everything. If one can say they know EVERYthing there is to know about their machine. Then, maybe, it's time for something different.

Unless one intends to make their riches via a metal detector(s), most can do fine with a good, balanced machine. And....that's just my take.

Here's a funny story. An acquaintance of mine was soooooo thrilled that he finally was able to land one of those very expensive machines. He worked very, very hard getting proficient with the machine. And...BOY he was good and it was very impressive in what he could turn up. Anyway, he scored a wonderful permission and we planned on a full day of it there. He picked me up, we went there, and just as we started stumbling around this wonderful place! Indian Head, V-Nickel, Barbers! We were like kids at play in a toy store! But, it started raining. I pulled up my parka and kept going. I looked up and there was my friend running across the field toward the car. You see, it turned out that his brand new, wonderful, deep seeking machine, wasn't waterproof! LOL

I continued to hunt, he got so frustrated, that he left me there in the middle of the field. (we were the BEST of friends! Always taking shots at each other, all in fun.) Giving me no option as he was my ride and he'd left me there "high & dry". I just hunted the rest of the day and then called another friend to get home. I still haven't told him what I found that day even though we hunted many times after. :)

Sorry S.O.D. for the hijacking. :)

By the by, just how deep were those coins? ;)
That's to much reading for me I stopped at hello lol...the nickel was about 8 inches and the dime was just under the surface buried in some roots with lead on top of it

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's to much reading for me I stopped at hello lol...the nickel was about 8 inches and the dime was just under the surface buried in some roots with lead on top of it

Well....OF COURSE! Wouldn't expect someone with a new machine to do ANY heavy reading! ;)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your happy with your new CTX.
I have thought about up grading, but haven't. I have certain "requirements" of any detector i may want to get.

It has to out preform the one i have now.

I have to be able to learn its language (it can't be smarter than me....this is the difficult part! Lol!)

It can't cost more than my truck, or i would have to walk everywhere.

I would like to test drive a new one before i bought it.
...so far just thinking about all that gives me a headache.

Besides i think i'm in it mainly for the happiness factor, and so far i'm fairly happy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread