First hunt with the F70

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made it out last night to the site of the bulldozed house - it was close to home and had good potential, so I figured "Why not?"

I remembered the last hunt I had there with the Tesoro and how trashy and broken most signals were, so I put the 5" hockey puck on and started swinging. The other night when I hunted my yard I didn't GB correctly, leading to all sorts of chatter and decreased sensitivity. After properly ground balancing, the machine ran very quietly, and I found myself turning up the sensitivity to 70 and 80 without any interference. Dicked around in the front yard with the 11" DD and found a few modern coins as well as smaller aluminum bits at 2-3". I felt a lot better about the machine once I GBed it correctly :hello2: and was ready to put it to work...

Hunted in De, Disc = 1, Notched iron and foil, DP tones, Sensitivity = 75, and Threshold = -3. I brought a dime with me to do some "air testing on the fly". With these settings using the 5" coil I could get a dime down to 6", and I figured that was fine for the area considering the trash quotient. Dp tones really helps with identifying targets especially on a cross-scan, where I couldn't see the screen. At one point I tried the SL speed, but I got so many falses and squeaks that I just went back to De speed.

After digging some non-ferrous trash, I finally got over a confident target which turned out to be a Memorial cent at 3". The audio sounded smooth and had the same tone on a cross-scan, so I surmised the target was round from the audio info alone. Hunting at night I can't see the screen too well, so the DP tones helps in this regard by saving time not having to pull out a flashlight to see the screen ID. I was getting a TON of iffy high-tone chirps that wouldn't settle, and dug some anyway. These all turned out to be trash - some cast iron bits and a few rusty nails. Found a clad quarter among 5 nails in the same hole, the audio was slightly erratic but sounded similar on a cross scan. Out of the hole I placed the quarter on a clean patch of ground and played around with the 5 nails in different configurations, trying to mask the quarter with different nail positions. That little coil really works well in the trash, and I went on to find 3 more clad quarters and a few copper pennies, as well as a few zincolns.

I have two more nights to hunt before we get 8-12" of snow and much colder temps - tonight I'm taking the 11" DD to a rental house where I found a small gold ring to see if there's anything deeper hiding. This house was built in 1904, and I found out it's been hunted before, but there's at least one old coin still waiting for discovery. Has to be.....

The more I hunt with the F70, the better I feel about its potential, and I've only just begun! Hoping tonight I turn the corner with at least a Wheat!:icon_thumright:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Taylor it won't take you long to get it all figured out. It sounds like the F70 is going to work great for you. I've read some good reports about the F70.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread