FIRST large cent in 13 years of detecting!! Then another! Then another!

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Got a totally solid 85 signal at 5" deep on the F75 at a very old homesite. I thought, yeah, right - it's probably a clad quarter. Then all at once one of my big goals was fulfilled - bam! Large cent! I call my friend over and we give a couple of high fives. He reminds me to check the hole again. Well, I get another 85 signal - kind of weak. I dig - then bam! Another large cent! They were likely dropped together a long time ago.

I walk about 5 feet away and there is another signal - and another large copper. This one looks to be a king george copper that's basically wasted - however, it's another first for me and I love it just the same!

Too bad these are pretty much toast - any idea if they can be cleaned? Peroxide? I want to be very careful to not ruin them any more than mother nature already has.

Ian

Attachments

• DSC01972.JPG
    DSC01972.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 614
  • DSC01971.JPG
    DSC01971.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 606
  • DSC01975.JPG
    DSC01975.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 611
Upvote 0

dave in iowa

Jan 29, 2008
iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Track, Minelab S.E. , and a Whites Prizm 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive soaked some in virgin olive oil , havent done a lc yet, ive found 3 so far , but they were pretty good , i took my 1st one to our local coin dealer and he cleaned and coated it so it wouldn't get any worse with acitone and a q-tip , the olive oil worked on Indian heads and wheaties if they wernt too far gone.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job congrats!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DIRTSWEEPER

Feb 26, 2007
UPSTATE NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, 5" excel, detectorpro phones
Congrats on the large cents. I too would be careful cleaning, nice the way they are..................thanks for sharing

Jay

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
AWESOME!!!
I keep a bottle of virgin olive oil just for my coins...I let them soak for a day with the toothpick (to soften it up) and then gently scrape at the coins...(scrape is a harsh word, insert 'rub' instead)...then let them soak another day...and so on..I've left them for a week and haven't destroyed a coin yet..(I DID with peroxide and vinegar though)
nice finds!!!

BomberJohn

Apr 6, 2008
North Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac
Very Cool. 3 LCs within a few minutes. You always remember your first. Now you get to remember 3. How did you hold your hand still for that pic? LOL Don't clean. You will be disappointed. Been there.

Congrats!
John

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro (land) CZ20 (water)
Great job on the Largie's Ian! :thumbsup: Lookin' forward to getting together with you soon for the group hunt! Love to hear the story in depth with cuss words inserted. I'm sure you were saying "F" yeah!!!!

Greg

Geek Squad

Mar 26, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett GTAx 1000 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds on the LC. Found my first LC a couple weeks ago after about 14 years of hunting BUT no Another & ANOTHER. Geek Squad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread