First Lionel Buy at auction and s scale $10 How did I do?

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20140427_135649[1].jpg 20140427_135629[1].jpg 20140427_135633[1].jpg 20140427_135620[1].jpg

Went to an auction and prices are usually so high as soon as the word Lionel comes out that I am always out of the running. But most people had cleared out so I bought this lot for $10. The next box was engines but I stoped at $30 and they went for $35. Most of the cabooses have chipped plastic or damage to the metal. Actually most things have some damage if you look hard enough. I think the small engine is probably the most valuable thing I bought. But I don't have a way to test any of it out. I guess I could string a wire between the transformer and figure out if its working. I know very little about any of it but figured this would be a good place to start. I don't think I did too bad. But I don't think I got anything too exciting.

Anyway let me know if you think I did ok.

Last edited:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
String a wire on the transformer will do you no good. Lionel runs on AC, and HO, N, S run on DC.

You can check the 1033 with a volt meter if you have one.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
String a wire on the transformer will do you no good. Lionel runs on AC, and HO, N, S run on DC.

You can check the 1033 with a volt meter if you have one.

Thanks I will give that a try. I guess I can't even give myself a good zap of electricity.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I can share all that you need to know about the trains...postwar Lionel is my thing.

It is a shame about the 6464-525 car missing it's trucks. That is the best car in the lot.

The silver single dome Sonoco car is a prewar O car from the 1930's.

The cabooses are very common, and all appear to be postwar.

The 1033 transformer is a good find, especially if it is good. I own about 30 of those. The other transformer is very common, and probably not worth listing. I sell those for $2 each at the flea market.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can share all that you need to know about the trains...postwar Lionel is my thing.

It is a shame about the 6464-525 car missing it's trucks. That is the best car in the lot.

The silver single dome Sonoco car is a prewar O car from the 1930's.

The cabooses are very common, and all appear to be postwar.

The 1033 transformer is a good find, especially if it is good. I own about 30 of those. The other transformer is very common, and probably not worth listing. I sell those for $2 each at the flea market.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I knew when I bid it was one of those boxes you have to grind out the money on. But to me a $10 education is usually worth it in the future. Sometimes you get the hunch the lot is stale inventory from a dealer and sometimes you can tell it was from an estate. I really couldn't tell in this case. In retrospect I wish I would have bid on the box of engines once more. It would have made for a more interesting post here thats for sure. If I can get my money back out of it with the transformer I will be happy. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread