Help ID this silverplate thing? Et Manu Et Gorce deer

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20140427_135737[1].jpg
This was in a box of stuff I bought. I guess its a butterdish cover. Anybody know anything about it.

I thought the engraved deer was neat.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunch is it's a Scottish clan symbol, but I can't find that particular one. A stag with an arrow in it's throat ???

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I never thought it could be that old. But I do see the resemblance now that I google imaged searched scottish clan symbols. Lots of deer but none getting arrows through the head. :dontknow: It was just one of those things I figured wasn't worth much but it did strike me as unusual.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing a bit of tidying up on some older threads, mainly for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

Thatā€™s a piece of family ā€˜silverā€™ (albeit plated, if you say so). Itā€™s not clan-related though. By convention, the motto is always shown above the crest on Scottish silver. Itā€™s the crest for the Bate family, and itā€™s modernised equivalent of Bates. Itā€™s illustrated at the link below (not pictured here for copyright reasons) together with the heraldic description from Fairbairn's Book of Crests (1905):

ā€œA Stag's Head Arg., Attired Or, Vulned Through The Neck With An Arrow Of The Second, Feathered And Headed Of The First.ā€

https://www.myfamilysilver.com/pages/crestfinder-crest.aspx?id=134855&name=Bate

The motto ā€œEt manu et cordeā€ (with both hand and heart) was adopted more recently.

The surname has its roots in Yorkshire but has two principal centres: one in the counties of Leicestershire, Rutland, and Warwickshire, and the other in Kent. From there it has expanded to adjoining counties but is essentially a midland and eastern county name with pockets elsewhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread