First Metal Detector

Tau44

Nov 10, 2009
Western Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Xterra 705
Ok, I am a newbie! I want to get a metal detector. I was going to get the Garrett 2500 model. THen I read some of the posts and some people like it and some people loved it. Which you will find with any metal detector. My budget is 1200 or so dollars. Would consider spending a little more if need be. If you could only have one metal detector which one would you have to have? I want to look for coins, civil war items, jewelry, cache of items and etc.

OP
OP
T

Tau44

Nov 10, 2009
Western Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Xterra 705
I also was looking at the Cortes, Tesoro. Is that the top of the line for Tesoro? Would that be a good machine that would work for coins, jewelry, civil war relics, and things like that? I wouldn't out grow that machine would i?

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
You should pick something in the mid price range. After all you'll need some money for an electronic pinpointer. The Garrett Propointer is great. Buy a good digger like a Predator. I would suggest a Garrett 1350 or Whites M6 or MXT. All three have a good resale with plenty of good reviews. You will do fine with any of these units and keep up with the higher priced machines.

fwcrawford

Jan 7, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50, Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign GT
Have you looked at the new Line of X-terras by Minelab.
They are very light weight, use only 4 AA batteries, and with a good selection of coils, this is a very versitle detector.
Check it out,
Felix

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
For what you listed, I like the MXT. Most expensive gives you bragging rights, but does not mean it will be the best for your needs. I also like Tesoro Vaquero for your needs as well at a good price and covers alot of different types of hunting. I had a DFX, it is a good detector, just not for me. Good luck! :occasion14:

tractorboy30

Oct 4, 2009
Ontario
Tesoro all come with life time warranty's to and they work well it really comes down to what you want in a unit I run the tesoro brands and love them + u get the best warranty and service around just my 2cents worth

TheHawg

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2009
Charleston, SC area
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher CZ-21, DetectorPro PI
I vote for the Fisher CZ-3D. I have a CZ-5, and it is great. No computer, just analog, but simple to use, and you can use it on a saltwater beach as well. When my 5 dies, I'll be getting a 3D.
TheHawg

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a 2500 and loved it. The only problem I had was that it was heavy and I have a very poor back. I had to trade for a lighter machine. It didn't have a huge learning curve either. Monty

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes ..John (ma).. said the most expensive detectors give you bragging rights ( HE IS RIGHT ) and you spend more time programming and pushing touch pads then you do hunting.. so stay away from any Minelab explorer or E-Trac and the Whites DFX... I was reading reviews on google and so many got rid of the expensive detectors for a mid range detector and were a lot happier . Do you want to program or hunt? Go for a mid range whites or Garrett Or Minelab or the Tesoro Don't get caught up in that i have to have the best most expensive . And i bet a dime to a dollar i can find as much with a midrange detector as they can find with there top end detectors..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a Garrett 1500 and some days like it and some days don't so i will keep it I have a Minelab Sovereign and i do like it . So i don't think you can go wrong with that Garrett 2500 the good thing about Garrett's top of the line detector you don't have to be a Electronic Geek to use it....

DOGMAN ( U.K )

Oct 26, 2009
Devon
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Ask a 100 different people and you'll get a 100 different answers. Before parting with your hard earned cash, 1. learn from all about the different machines from all the detecting websites available 2. Read all the magazine test reports/ user reports. There are many great machines new/secondhand but if you can afford it, then the Minelab Etrac is the best available. and no, I don't use them due to price, but that's the only reason. Good luck.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well go to google and read the reviews on the detectors you want to buy... dogman(UK) said you will get a 100 differnt answers he gave you one so you only have 99 to go......... My first detector i got i did not read reveiws i just read the adds in the treasure mag's. and got myself a ......Garrett freedom 2 coin commander....they don't make them any more i still say that was the best detector i ever used. i really loved that detector. When that came i was like a kid at Xmas.. then i let some some relatives use it and they just tore it up. I bought that in the early 80's and about 5 years ago was when they killed it. The moral to the story is .....The first detector you get if you are like me you will think it is the best in the world no matter what they say about other detectors. I think to much information now a days just confuses us every one says mine is the best no it is mine that is the best. the more you ask the more confused you will get.. Get what you like not what some one tells you to get..........you might not like that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread