First Musket Balls at Ghost Town.

N

nutso

I found my first two musket balls today. I stopped at a house near mine and got permission to hunt the area someone listed as a ghost town in another forum. It's actually an old train depot. I had previously found 5 of the 11 cellar holes on an adjoining property. I found 2 more today. Both were caved in and full of junk. All I found was broken pieces of metal, but will continue to look. Then I went into this guys corn field and thats where I found the musket balls. I made two passes along one edge and barely covered 1% of the field. There are two more fields other than this one. Very nice landowner, got him talking about history of the area and then asked permission.

Upvote 0
M

mtl-huntr

Nice job lets see some pics if you can......

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great Finds!!!
I dug my first 3 ringer the other day. It's really is a rush finding something with that type of age to it...
Good luck next time...

OP
OP
N

nutso

Went back to the ghost town(old foundation) today. didn't find much around the foundation. It needs to be cleaned out yet. Found An old spoon, alot of trash etc.
But went to the corn field behind it and found a large cent and a percussion cap. Can't read the date yet but I think it's about 1820. It's soaking now. The pic is the only cellar hole of the 11 that I have permission to detect. The others are on someone elses posted property. Got home and found two tick on me, the pesky little devils.

Attachments

• cellar hole.JPG
    cellar hole.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 415
OP
OP
N

nutso

Made on more circle around that corn field today. Only found some square nails and some rim fire cartridges. Still haven't even hit 5% of the field and there are 3 more bigger than this one. After finding those ticks on me I decided to wait a bit to hit that cellar hole again. They always are worse this time of year. Stopped at the local carwash on the way home and got $12.80 in about a half hour.---Gas money---

Attachments

• carwash04-26-05.jpg
    carwash04-26-05.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 370
OP
OP
N

nutso

More ghost town finds

Searched another stone foundation at the ghost town and found the Hood & sons 1917 milkcan label. Found the slightly mangled musketball and the totally distorted bullet in the cornfield in front of the ghost town. Can someone here date the bullet. It measures .770 x .360 in it's distorted beauty, with 2 rings showing in the only good area.

Attachments

• musketball, bullet, milk label.jpg
    musketball, bullet, milk label.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 331
OP
OP
N

nutso

I just looked at the large cent again. It's pretty wore out but I can see the bust. There's still green crust over the date and around the edges. Last time I tried to scan it I couldn't see a thing. May try the Gf's digital cam after it soaks a while longer.

F

Floater

Great Post NUTSO, This is actually fascinating to see it develop. Were you a screen writer before becoming an MDer?? LOL Those finds are fantastic. Keep it going. And don't take any chances with those ticks. Nasty little buggers. HH and thanks for posting this. Lookking forward to more

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Great finds! thanks for the posts! Am looking forward to your future finds, sounds like youll have MANY more to come! Good luck on your next hunt!

G

gguff

nutso said:
Stopped at the local carwash on the way home and got $12.80 in about a half hour.---Gas money---

12.80 in about a half hour! How did that happen?

R

rvbvetter

Great finds!! Definitly keep us posted. WTG!! HH

OP
OP
N

nutso

gguff said:
nutso said:
Stopped at the local carwash on the way home and got $12.80 in about a half hour.---Gas money---

12.80 in about a half hour! How did that happen?
The snow plow left a pile of sand and it was full of quarters. Total so far from this one carwash is over $100.00. If I need gas money I go there. I hate going to the bank.

OP
OP
N

nutso

I emailed the local historian. He said there was only one building that was part of the RR station. I found at least 10 cellar holes. He also said there was another mill there besides the one that is partially standing and there were houses. He has one pic I may try to get a copy of. This to me is great news. Now instead of industrial junk, pipe, steel chunks, tin cans, old wire, and endless hunks of white marble scattered around, the possibilities are huge. I'll concentrate on the one in the pic and dig everything and go deeper. I could fill my pickup with the junk that's laying around the other cellar holes. Wish I had more time. Can't make it back there till next week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread