First one of 2010

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got a chance to hunt yesterday. The snow is 99% gone and the cricks (that's what we call em round here) are flowing rapidly.
Found this Cobbs the first 2 minutes I stepped into the crick.
I hunted for 6 hours. I got 2 madisons, a scraper, and a piece of pottery to go along with the Cobbs.
I like the idea of leaving something behind to trade the spirits when I find a piece.
I left some stuff behind this time.

I wonder if this tool was unfinished since there is a lobe on one side that looks like it needs to be removed. -Darrin

Attachments

• a2 007.jpg
    a2 007.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 288
  • a2 008.jpg
    a2 008.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 283
  • a2 009.jpg
    a2 009.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 279
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jonzer

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to mention:
We had a mountain lion sighting just 1 mile from our farm about 2 weeks ago.
Mountain lions are very rare around here.
I was looking over my shoulder and paying attention to every sound in the woods all afternoon.
It was creepy.

DemonCatSpaceStar

Jan 1, 2009
People of the South Wind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darrin , Nice Cobbs! :icon_thumleft:
I'm still waiting to find a really nice one to post ( not to mention a 1st point of '10! :( )

You never hear of mountain lion sightings where I hunt around here but just north at a place I go to @ my sister n law's brothers place ( :icon_scratch: ) they have a picture of something with a tail standing ON TOP of a hay bale that looks very big & a lot like a mountain lion. They say there is what they think is a den right near the creek on the land they let me hunt. ???
When I go out I've started carrying protection just in case! :thumbsup:

8)
Phil

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like they saw something in that step thay they were afraid to drive off. I find pieces like that ,that were just discarded. Very nice finds. Keep an eye out for tracks. Those panthers lay down a nice track. Nice hunt and thanks for sharing. Cobbs is pretty old stuff.
TnMtns

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Nice find, that's a cool piece. I'd say it's a humpback knife or tool and not a Cobbs, jmho. I've found several like it, imo they were made thick and stacky for handheld use. Heavy duty tools.

OP
OP
Jonzer

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I'm no expert and I wasn't sure what kind it was. I use an old Overstreet ID guide most of the time. It really doesn't look old enough to be Cobbs.
I didn't see any tracks but I did find a chewed up turkey. Coulda been Coyotes.-Darrin

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
NP, wish I could find more info on them like culture associated, time period, etc. I really haven't been able to find much at all. Here's a couple illustrated examples and a smaller example I found in WV.

Attachments

• phphBFFexPM.jpg
    phphBFFexPM.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 204
  • phpAwaO2JPM.jpg
    phpAwaO2JPM.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 184
  • phpkfVMvxPM.jpg
    phpkfVMvxPM.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 189

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread