First outing with my Explorer SE

May 12, 2010
Floyd, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE with Pro coil, Fisher CZ7a pro
I just bought a Explorer SE with a pro coil. I took it to my front yard where I had hunted it with three other detector brands heavily. The yard has a lot of iron and I found I had to go real slow with the SE. I heard a "high" pitch sound and then wiggled it over the area. I could only wiggle it about one inch, (about the width of the center part of the pro coil) to get a good lock on the target. It was about 4 inches deep. This happened on three different spots and out came two 1962 and one 1961 pennies. I know it isn't silver, but I was happy to find them with so much iron and trash. All three had targets beside of them that read iron.
I look forward to learning more about the SE as it is my first Minelab. I have found the key is to listen to the tone, how solid it is and go SLOW, lol.
I have a lot of nulling even with the sensitivity down to 5 at times. I have tried noise cancel as well. So I just guess the couple areas I have hunted in is highly mineralized and has iron trash in it.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• coins.jpg.jpg
    coins.jpg.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 300

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good first self-taught lesson! :thumbsup: Lowering your iron mask will eliminate some nulling but create more noise around iron.

OP
OP
S
May 12, 2010
Floyd, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE with Pro coil, Fisher CZ7a pro
I also did some testing as my SE was nulling a lot, I couldn't move the coil an inch before I lost the threshold tone again. I put a coin and ring on the ground where it was nulling and found out it would still hit on them without the tone returning but the smartfind would not show them until I let the tone come back then it would id correctly.
I was worried that while it was nulling it would not pick up a coin but I found out it still would if I listened to the tone.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve_Stonewall_Brigade said:
I also did some testing as my SE was nulling a lot, I couldn't move the coil an inch before I lost the threshold tone again. I put a coin and ring on the ground where it was nulling and found out it would still hit on them without the tone returning but the smartfind would not show them until I let the tone come back then it would id correctly.
I was worried that while it was nulling it would not pick up a coin but I found out it still would if I listened to the tone.

Exactly and is why you should pay no attention to the screen!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions